Thread: Proposing Prmal Menus? page

lssanjose is offline Senior Member

Proposing Prmal Menus?

Primal Fuel
    If Weight Watchers can tap into establishments like Applebee's, why can't Primal folk? Or do you think it would be simpler if Primal folk just customize their orders upon request? I say this in light of my going to places like Red Robin; and a local taco shop. I would simply say hold x, y, z, etc. Do you think restaurants would be open to something like this? I know there's atkins, or low-carb menus, but it seems to me many of them don't cater that strongly to such demographics. What's your take, everyone? Thanks in advance.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I don't think we're a big enough voice yet to get consideration from big chains. Weight Watchers is huge. Plus there's a lot of people out their watching their calories even if they're not WW members. I don't think we're quite on the media radar yet.

With food allergies getting more attention, some places have developed gluten-free menus and that gets you a fair way towards grain free. A lot of the other grains and legumes are more easily avoidable. They tend to be solid in the meal rather than in the form of soy sauce, breading or roux. Easy to get them to leave it off or to just avoid it on the place if you're not super sensitive. Of course I know some highly gluten sensitive people have had issues at restaurants that claim to have gluten-free dishes because the kitchen staff isn't careful in prep.

I think the level of success will vary with how primal you want to be when you eat out. Grain/legume free options aren't too hard. Meat + salad is usually what I end up getting. However, the odds of getting a restaurant to use different fats for a primal menu is slim. A lot of us view this as suboptimal but not a huge deal breaker. However, if you want to go whole hog, you won't find much to eat. Most restaurants are going to use cheap oils. Plus most people believe that vegetable oil is better for you than saturated fat. It would be hard to justify switching the whole menu to primal fats and isolating the primal food would be rather difficult. Are you going to put in an extra fryer and flat top? Not likely. I also doubt you'd see a lot of organic, grass-fed, pastured, etc., options showing up on the menu of chain restaurants like Applebee's. The sourcing is too difficult. It's expensive. And if it doesn't move, it's a loss.

I've often wondered how viable a primal restaurant would be. I live in the SF Bay Area so I likely have more of a customer base here than I would in many places. I'd love to open a primal pub. Though I'd have plenty of grain free tipples as well. Have a few kinds of roast beast every day with awesome salads and veggie dishes.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 06-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Since eating out is a rare treat, I feel that holding the bread and other carby items is a decent compromise. It's not like you're eating grain-fed beef every day. One every few weeks shouldn't really amount to much of a blip on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Since eating out is a rare treat, I feel that holding the bread and other carby items is a decent compromise. It's not like you're eating grain-fed beef every day. One every few weeks shouldn't really amount to much of a blip on the radar.
    I eat out a bit more than that. Maybe once or twice a week. Still far less than the average American. I think it would be very hard to be primal if you relied much more than that on restaurants.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I eat out a bit more than that. Maybe once or twice a week. Still far less than the average American. I think it would be very hard to be primal if you relied much more than that on restaurants.
    Due to the nature of my work, I find myself eating out 45-75 times a month. It can be tough, but the hardest is when I'm in 3rd world resort countries; I spent 4 days in Barbados last Jamuary, and trying to get 50g of protien/day was tough, as was finding any dish that wasn't primarily rice.

That and it gets expensive, fast.

I tend to stick with grilled meats and salads, dressing on the side.

If you can handle rice, Thai curries are good options, too. Along with shashimi. I'm likely getting more O6 oils in the dressing and my fried eggs (NEVER eat the scambled eggs at a buffett. Its almost always egg substitute) than ideal, but if I'm down to worrying about that, I figure I'm doing better than 80% of America.

I just eat Thai curries without the rice. They're really yummy! I don't miss the rice at all.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I wind up eating out more than I'd like to, so the BAS is my go-to meal. I keep track of restaurants that offer some type of protein on a salad with pure olive oil-based dressing - there are actually 5 within walking distance of my office. I feel like as long as I'm eliminating the bulk of the vegetable oil that would be found in salad dressing, I'm not going to stress over what they use on the grilled meats.

The best chain I've found is Chipotle. I get the salad with steak, no dressing, a ton of salsa, and added guacamole. Sometimes I'll add the cheese if I feel like I need extra calories. It works out nicely - the only ingredient that might include any meaningful amount of added vegetable oils is the steak. There are only 6.5 grams of fat in the 4 oz serving, of which it's likely that at least 2 are saturated and 2 are monounsaturated. Even assuming that the remaining 2.5 grams are polyunsaturated, that ain't bad.

On the other hand, if I'm actually going to a nice schmancy restaurant, all bets are off. I'll be doing my best to keep it gluten-free, but anything else is fair game.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    1. Most people don't go out to eat to be reminded of their diet plan.
    2. Paleo/Primal is not on the radar.
    3. Restaurants would have to work too hard. Most of them buy from the same few suppliers and really doing Paleo/Primal might require them to actually pay attention to what they are buying.

Also, for any big chain, making menu decisions is no small task. WW or "heart healthy" (sic) at least sound safe and can get through the red tape.

I still like the idea though!