Thread: Elbow Pain with Pullups page

Will Turner is offline Junior Member

Elbow Pain with Pullups

Primal Fuel
    Hello!
    Recently I have been getting a bit of pain (not terrible, but not fun) in my elbows while doing pullups. It's a swelled, inflamed sort of pain and it's pretty much located where the triceps connect to the elbow joint (a bit to the side, though).
    For the record, I've been lifting on a dedicated basis for about two years and this has only happened in the past month and a half or so. Not even mild discomfort beforehand. Not really any changes in my routine either. I've experimented with overhand, neutral, underhand grips and there isn't really a big difference. (I'm about to start experimenting with hand placement) No noticeable pain on barbell rows, but I go lighter with those than my bodyweight.
    Has anyone experienced this before? And does anyone have suggestions? I've heard doing curls can help, buuuut for some reason feel a natural hatred towards standing there doing curls in the gym :P Another option is to stop pulling work (or drastically reduce it) for a couple of weeks... buuuuut being the aggressive twentysomething I am I'd prefer to see if this was a biomechanics issue that would go away if I adjusted something

I'd appreciate any advice! And yes, I do plan on seeing a physical therapist if the pain continues or worsens in any way, it's just a little nagging thing for now.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I get the same thing when I do too many pullups, dips or tricep extensions. And it almost always happens when I add weight to dips and pullups. It does, however, go away within a couple hours. I have no idea what it is, but I usually lay off of it for a few days when it happens and I am good until I go too excessive again.
    That probably doesn't help at all. LOL.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Bill2380 is offline Junior Member
    Try to find an IASTM practitioner in your area. I had the same problems for years and had it fixed in five treatments.

js290 is offline Senior Member

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Are you gripping the bar with your fingers or your palm at the base of the fingers? If it's the latter, try just hooking your fingers over the bar. Your first phalanges in line with your metacarpals.

Gordo

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Sounds a lot like tendonitis. Not some thing to mess around with. I speak from experience.

Alfray is offline Junior Member
    This video is so great .Thanks for share this.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Tendonitis can become debilitating if not addressed right away. Normally, it's as easy as changing the action that is causing it, and it doesn't require any treatment other than a little ice and rest. The advice above is good. Change how you are doing your exercises, and it should help. Overuse is the most common reason for tendonitis. Changing rep schemes and hand positioning are good starts, but you may need more rest days in between your workouts.

Will Turner is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Update from today's workout:
    The congruent chin-up completely worked. I was skeptical because I was already following all of those cues except for the leaning back. But I added that one cue in and zero elbow pain. Booyah. Thanks so much for the replies--going to continue keeping an eye on things but encouraged.