Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Cured Cancer by Kelley Eidem page 5

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mistigi View Post
    Watch the movie, Dr Burzynski explains how that study was not following the protocol the treatment was designed for. Here is another Phase II study showing that it works:

Phase II study of antineoplaston A10 and AS2-1 in children with recurrent and progressive multicentric glioma : a preliminary report.
    Also, doesn't a patient have to go through chemo/radiation before they are eligible for the Phase II study? That would be seem to play a huge role in the outcome.

mistigi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    Also, doesn't a patient have to go through chemo/radiation before they are eligible for the Phase II study? That would be seem to play a huge role in the outcome.
    I think it depends on the study. Some studies will not accept patients after a chemo. This very question is also brought up in the movie. Some Dr Burzynki's patient were receiving chemo before they came to him for treatment. The questions was if it was possible that cancer was cured because of chemo therapy, however in many instances there were new tumors growing still after chemo and his treatment was able to cure it in some patients.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    In that Phase II glioma study, the NCI was not following Dr. Burzynski's protocol. The patients were getting only about 1/3 the effective dosage. NCI would not release those patients' medical records to Dr. Burzynski during the trial. And now we know why.

The documentary gets into all this at about the 1:25:00 mark and shows on screen the correspondence from Dr. Burzynski to NCI where he is strenuously objecting.

This sickens me. These are peoples' lives, dammit! These people died while NCI/FDA played their games (and an NCI scientist was busy stealing the Antineoplaston patents).
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have not read the books, but I do tend to take these types of claims with a large grain of salt.

I know it is easy to claim that researchers simply don't want to find a cure, but I really don't believe that at all. A very large percentage of research done in the academic world is done without any thought towards whether a treatment has potential for profits or not.

It is very hard to specifically target a biologic process and change it. Think about hair or aging - billions of dollars are spent on research to prevent male pattern baldness or to stop unwanted hair growth in women. These are normal cells and processes and even then we can barely change it. Or wrinkles - you wouldn't think it would be that hard to convince a few cells to make a little extra collagen - still there are very few good strategies.
    When you add to that the fact that cancer cells don't have to obey the rules of the body, then it makes some sense to me that it is very challenging.

Don't get me wrong - there is undoubted corruption and piles of wasted research money in cancer research. But don't underestimate how powerful a cancer cell can be.
    +1. It is fair to be skeptical of the medical industry, but there are plenty of researchers and doctors out there who take healing people very seriously. I AM skeptical of medicine. I am also skeptical of anyone who claims to have THE cure for cancer (or anything) based on anecdotal evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by mistigi View Post
    I think it depends on the study. Some studies will not accept patients after a chemo. This very question is also brought up in the movie. Some Dr Burzynki's patient were receiving chemo before they came to him for treatment. The questions was if it was possible that cancer was cured because of chemo therapy, however in many instances there were new tumors growing still after chemo and his treatment was able to cure it in some patients.
    I believe that at this point that in order to be accepted as a new patient by Burzynski that the FDA wants any patient to have already going through chemo/radiation. So if a person got cancer tomorrow and thought about running down to texas to start treatment you would first have to go through conventional chemo/radiation. Dr. Burzynski even says that his treatment is much more effective if you aren't poisoned by chemo/radiation first.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    +1. It is fair to be skeptical of the medical industry, but there are plenty of researchers and doctors out there who take healing people very seriously. I AM skeptical of medicine. I am also skeptical of anyone who claims to have THE cure for cancer (or anything) based on anecdotal evidence.
    We have to be skeptical about anyone who claims to have a cure. The issue is that we also have to be skeptical about the FDA, ACS, drug companies and university research that is funded by those organizations. Cancer is a $200 billion industry and it's been a long time and a lot of money spent on finding a cure that modern medicine doesn't seem to be interested in finding, at least not one that isn't profitable. You have doctors like Revici and Burzynksi who if they weren't successful on some level never would have drawn the attention of the medical establishment.
    Last edited by hazmat; 10-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    We have to be skeptical about anyone who claims to have a cure. The issue is that we also have to be skeptical about the FDA, ACS, drug companies and university research that is funding by those organizations. Cancer is a $200 billion industry and it's been a long time and a lot of money spent on finding a cure that modern medicine doesn't seem to be interested in finding, at least not one that isn't profitable. You have doctors like Revici and Burzynksi who if they weren't successful on some level never would have drawn the attention of the medical establishment.

I totally agree with this, and I'm sure that this is no coincidence that you can fix cancer by providing your body what it needs.

Let's just wait and see.

There's no harm in changing your diet if you have cancer anyway.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Yvonne PHX Guest
    We have to be skeptical about anyone who claims to have a cure. The issue is that we also have to be skeptical about the FDA, ACS, drug companies and university research that is funded by those organizations. Cancer is a $200 billion industry and it's been a long time and a lot of money spent on finding a cure that modern medicine doesn't seem to be interested in finding, at least not one that isn't profitable. You have doctors like Revici and Burzynksi who if they weren't successful on some level never would have drawn the attention of the medical establishment.
    Just about any treatment will be successful on some level just given the placebo effect. FTR: I absolutely think that Revici and Burzynkski have provided enough evidence that their studies need to be honestly peer-reviewed and other researchers should seriously and whole-heartedly try to duplicate the results. Absolutely. But if they can't, then we also need to take that for what it is. My point is simply that we should spread the skepticism around.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    Just about any treatment will be successful on some level just given the placebo effect. FTR: I absolutely think that Revici and Burzynkski have provided enough evidence that their studies need to be honestly peer-reviewed and other researchers should seriously and whole-heartedly try to duplicate the results. Absolutely. But if they can't, then we also need to take that for what it is. My point is simply that we should spread the skepticism around.
    Revici studies were falsified by JAMA to show that what he was doing wasn't working. If you read the book about him the stories are pretty crazy.

It's also tough to take Burynsky's phase II trials seriously when every patient has to undergo chemo/radiation before they are eligible.

I get what your saying but it's so tough to level the playing field when the FDA won't let it happen.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Revici studies were falsified by JAMA to show that what he was doing wasn't working. If you read the book about him the stories are pretty crazy.

It's also tough to take Burynsky's phase II trials seriously when every patient has to undergo chemo/radiation before they are eligible.

I get what your saying but it's so tough to level the playing field when the FDA won't let it happen.
    The FDA won't let ANYONE do anything. They're the end all say all. It's bullshit.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast