Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have to remedy acid reflux page

Styleten is offline Senior Member

I have to remedy acid reflux

I'd like to know from your experience things you had to adjust in order to minimize your acid reflux.
    Did you eliminate the problem with meds or nutrition?

Is there a cure? Is a nutritional lifestyle change the only option?
    What created symptoms for you? What did you remove to make those symptoms subside?
    What did you replace that with to fill the void?

I been drinking watermelon juice and that gave me pretty fast relief. It isn't practical to be blending water melons twice a week. Its a process and its seasonal. I think it takes relapse of symptoms to motivate me to get blending but perhaps I'm still adjusting to it. Its sweet like soda was but isn't all that where i feel happy to have that as my alternative. After all. Soda has so many flavors it never gets old.

What i eliminated

Fruit snacks
    Cookies
    Cow milk
    Soda
    Lowered my meat consumption dramatically. I was eating 3-6 pounds of bacon and i was eating a 2-4 lbs pounds of steak every week.
    I kinda stopped eating meat all together for about 2 weeks now. I have to add it in though. Its meat after all.

I added:
    Soy milk,
    Dates
    Raisins
    Tuna fish
    Mixed cheeses
    Cheese cake
    Cereal

Aside from cereal (pebbles) everything i added had a healthy alternative ph level. Everything i eliminated had a unhealthy ph level accept milk. Milk isn't gone for good but switching from a animal milk to a plant milk will do a few things for me
    1. The milk won't be hormonal. Dairy cows produce 10 gallons of milk a day before hormones and 100 gallons a day after hormones are injected into their diet through their life as a dairy producing cow. This change is to help myself not the cow. My heart isn't that big to care yet.

2. the milk will cover all 9 essential amino acids i need in a balanced protein profile.

NOTE: Though i took my ph when i was at my worst which was in the last 60 days i didn't log it. When i take my ph now its between 6 and 7 and i feel its close to that 6.75 mark but the brand I'm using is awfully hard to read. Untill I'm seeing tints of green i wont know for sure I'm at 7.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Have you eliminated tomatoes?
    Why would you add soy milk? That gives you man boobs....

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Soy milk makes you girly! :P

When i took out gluten mine went away within days. I haven't had it for 2 months, and i've had it my entire life...
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

I haven't eliminated tomato but i don't think i eat tomato.

They aren't ever on my sandwiches which i eat rarely. I don't eat pasta. It isn't on my shopping list so unless its a sneaky ingredient then i'm not eating tomato.

I'll look into gluten but i don't know anything about it. So it might be in everything i eat. I'll check.

About soy milk. You don't drink soy milk and just grow tits. Prolonged use of the stuff i won't argue but its not like magic. Soy touches the lips of a man and he morphs. Though feared like that, and its fun to hype like that, simply isn't the reality. My reason for buying it was to get the highest Ph milk i could find. Soy beat cow milk. Plus i can't get any hormonal or pus related symptoms from soy. If i keep it to ~ a gallon a week i won't have any problems. That should be enough for cereal and a 2 or 3 protein shakes

emmie is offline Senior Member
    My experience:

I was bothered by acid reflux.

Concidentally, I did an elimination diet for dairy, and when I had a little cheese after a month dairy free--acid reflux. (I also did one for gluten, but at a different time.)

Since eliminating dairy completely about a year ago, I've had NO acid reflux.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    I've had acid reflux on and off for years. In my case there's a definite link to stress. I find that the most effective way to treat it is to simply relax. Whatever I'm doing I try to relax my whole body, especially the torso. Sometimes it's easier than others. Thinking too much and over analysing everything causes stress for me and I'm more likely to get acid reflux on those days. Learning to control stress has had huge benefits on acid reflux, fatigue, depression, etc.

I'd go as far as to say it's the most important thing a person can do for their health.. to simply relax.

Dairy, Tomato, Gluten. Are the possibilities endless or what. I thought if i just balanced my ph then i could in effect eat anything i wanted until my ph dipped. You guys make that out to be different. That the reflux is more like an allergic reaction.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Styleten View Post
    I haven't eliminated tomato but i don't think i eat tomato.

They aren't ever on my sandwiches which i eat rarely. I don't eat pasta. It isn't on my shopping list so unless its a sneaky ingredient then i'm not eating tomato.

I'll look into gluten but i don't know anything about it. So it might be in everything i eat. I'll check.

About soy milk. You don't drink soy milk and just grow tits. Prolonged use of the stuff i won't argue but its not like magic. Soy touches the lips of a man and he morphs. Though feared like that, and its fun to hype like that, simply isn't the reality. My reason for buying it was to get the highest Ph milk i could find. Soy beat cow milk. Plus i can't get any hormonal or pus related symptoms from soy. If i keep it to ~ a gallon a week i won't have any problems. That should be enough for cereal and a 2 or 3 protein shakes
    Acid reflux is not about too much stomach acid, in fact it's usually too little (or inappropriate timing). See Chris Kresser's series on GERD (last article, previous ones are linked at the beginning).

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Wheat was my big one (but other grains as well). I cut them all out and starting improving within 4 days. Within two weeks of quitting grains I took my last antacid -- that was in January.

Oh... and I've read that wheat lectins can bind to the active sites in your stomach that regenerate the mucus lining that protects it from acid damage (self-digestion). As soon as you stop eating them (if this is your problem), the lining starts to regenerate. Thus the 4-day rapid progress.
    Last edited by gunnk; 06-01-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Update with wheat info...
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you eating primal? From what you wrote, it sounds like you are still eating grains? If that's not true, ignore what I'm about to say.

I had bad acid reflux (heartburn, stomach aches, whatever you call when you throw up a little in your mouth - lovely!) for decades. One doctor gave me a prescription that worked but for $50 a month (ack!) I decided to just try and avoid the things I knew would bother me. Which was a pain because it seemed that one day something would be a problem and the next it wouldn't so I never really knew.

But I went primal a month ago and stopped eating grains - all grains, not just gluten ones - and it's gone.

Before I would eat pasta with tomato sauce and would have to take tums to go to bed. I thought it was the tomato sauce because if I ate pasta plain I didn't have a problem. But then I cut grains and now I can eat tomato based chili with no heartburn. Ditto on v-8. Ok, v-8 is not exactly primal but I needed some for a recipe and I love the stuff, so for an experiment, I drank a glass of it before bed. No heartburn at all. Before (when I was eating grains) if I drank it anywhere near bedtime I would need tums to sleep.

I also used to think fatty foods bothered me but again, now that I've cut grains, I can eat all the bacon (or other fatty foods) I want with no problem.

So if you haven't cut grains, you could give it a try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast