Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Paleo-kits?? page

Springbok7 is offline Junior Member

Opinion on Paleo-kits??

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys,

Curious to know what everyone/or anyone, thought about Paleo-kits. Was introduced to it through interaction with Crossfit Folks and a big fan as of now. Not sure how nutritious the high sugar content is (sugar=insulan=fat) but its all natural from fruit with no preservatives. I'll just let the experts decide so any feedback would be much appreciated as i'm somewhat new to Paleo living.

Link to product i'm referring to: Steves Original

Thanks,

Rik

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Am I missing something, or are you basically paying $4 for a small bag of mixed nuts and jerky that you could otherwise buy separately for less?

Hi there,

No, you are correct, mixed nuts, jerky and some berries mixed in. Am I hearing you think it would just be better to make my own at home for cheaper?

Also, any opinion on the actually nutritional content?

Thanks,

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    The nutritional content seems pretty straightforward, except for the "infused strawberries" which are really just strawberries and juice. Nothing wrong with it but nothing really special. If I were to buy these, it would be because his proceeds go to charity. Otherwise, I don't think a bag of nuts and jerky is worth what he's asking. It's way too easy to make your own.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Paleokits are pretty good, as far as being primal/paleo in nature. Good ingredients, no preservatives or artificial crap. They are pricey, so like secretlobster said, you may be able to make your own "kit" cheaper. I take nuts, fruit and jerky along with me hiking, essentially making my own little paleokit.

I won't critize the company though, they use some of their profits to run an inner-city charity. Good people. Plus, Steve's Original products taste pretty darn good. I've purchased the beef sticks (slim jims with out the chemicals) and the paleokrunch cereal for a long hike coming up.... very good stuff.

I agree with both of you. Seems like a great organization and the kits, and Paleo-stix (Good version of Slim jims) are really good.

I'm going to give a "homemade" solution a go, and see how that works out. Thanks so much for all the feedback.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    Am I missing something, or are you basically paying $4 for a small bag of mixed nuts and jerky that you could otherwise buy separately for less?
    Seriously. They're like 2oz. $32/lb is pretty steep for trail mix. I'm pretty sure you could put it together for a lot less if you had access to a store with a good quality bulk section. They don't say that the jerky is organic or grass-fed, either, so if you're willing to DIY on that, you could get even better quality meat.

Personally, I don't tend eat stuff like that unless I'm hiking all day or something. Otherwise, I don't need the energy spike from the dried fruit and I'd rather just eat a meal. I don't like to fill my stomach up when I'm out hiking, so something small and concentrated is just the thing.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    I think the point is being missed here... I see this as more of a charity donation & a fortunate bonus of some grass fed jerky trail mix as well. I've read a bit about the charity behind this stuff, and its a great cause - I think dissing the price is a bit tacky.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    I like to make my own jerky and dry my own fruit. I also started making my own larabars. Its pretty easy to do i just takes some time on a weekend to put it all together. I like to seal them in my vacuum sealer and toss them in the freezer. Take a few out when going on a hike or trip.
    Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalmama View Post
    I think the point is being missed here... I see this as more of a charity donation & a fortunate bonus of some grass fed jerky trail mix as well. I've read a bit about the charity behind this stuff, and its a great cause - I think dissing the price is a bit tacky.
    I think you were making a good point until you brought out the insults.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast