Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I don't know how to cook! page

emilyemiliemilu is offline Junior Member

Help! I don't know how to cook!

Ok the title of this post is not entirely true. I do know how to cook the basics. I know how to cook pasta and chicken breasts. The problem is, I don't know how to get enough variety in my meals to stick to primal eating and always revert back to what I know...Pasta. It's quick and simple. You just boil water, add pasta, cook some veggies and voila, ten minutes later you have a meal.

I have the Primal Blueprint cookbook, the reader-created cookbooks, and the newest cookbook, but I don't know enough about cooking (nor do I have the time) to cook the meals every night. I can give you a thousand excuses why I don't have the time, but the reality is that I am really good at making excuses.

So my questions!

How do you prepare your primal meals? Do you cook them all at once? Do you cook every night? Is it feasible to cook a meal in 10 minutes?

How do you get variety? I like meat, but are there other things you can eat besides meat that will leave you satisfied? How do you cook your meat? Crock pot? Oven?

How do you eat on the go? I work full-time, my husband is deployed and I have 3 kids (youngest one being 9 months!). Are there tricks to getting your primal nutrition without spending ANY time doing it?

I am really at a loss here. Even with all of the cookbooks, my cooking skills are so basic that I just don't even know where to go sometimes. And time is definitely not on my side, but I am not giving up on this lifestyle. I guess I just need advice from anyone that is willing to offer it.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I do most of the cooking in my hood.

I cook breakfast and dinner all meals usually under 10 minutes or less- even with my son strapped to me in his carrier he loves. Usually take left overs for lunch.

Food on the go is a non-issue as I use that as a time to fast. If I do want something quick I go to Chipotle or something like that and get a fajita bowl with no rice and beans.

It doesn't take long to throw in some meat, eggs, veggie of choice and some salsa for breakfast.
    Nor does it take too long to cut a spaghetti squash in half place in microwave for 10min. (cut side down), while you cook up some chicken or beef and use a good marinara sauce.

There are a TON of recipes that are quick and really easy to prepare. Just Google primal recipes. Good luck
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I live alone and hve about 4 hours a day to myself.
    here is what i do. It is demanding hwoever i have given myself NO CHOICE in the matter. At 500 pounds having had no CW results in reducing when something started working i grabbed on with both hands. Never give up never surrender

6am - Get my but out of bed and pack my lunch. IF i am hungry upon waking , which happens from time to time, I start the cast iron skiller to rocket hot and shape a couple of quick burgers. ( salt pepper, i can deal ) Cook burgers while ironing shirt and eat just before i get dressed. Yup i am a multitasker
    7:10 get in the car drive to work.
    5:00 Get out of the car and unpack my lunch box.Start the oven to 350. Always need an oven at 350. change clothes clean kitchen if i didnt get it completed yetsterday while meat comes to room temp ( lets eat steak today ) Cast iron was in the oven ( Of Course ) Bump the oven to 500 ( it IS steak after all)
    Start crock pot with chicken and veg and broth ( of course i made broth on the weekend) that will be ready for the fridge in the morning ( or by bedtime if i use high heat) season and grill steaks. timer ... oven ( 4 min per side) sute onions and mushrooms.
    Make Cupcake batter ( egs cocoa coconut flour ) turn oven down to 350. Make icecream and freeze. clean kitchen
    8:00 Sprint, pushups yadda yadda yadda
    915: Crock pot in fridge. shut down house shower
    9:30 go to bed.
    Loop
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I do a couple of big items a week to cut down on the cooking. On Sunday, I cooked a big pork roast in the pressure cooker and shredded it up. I eat that for lunch on a salad with salsa and guacamole. I got the idea from the Chipotle bowl Elco mentioned. I also used up my CSA veg by cooking it up with a bunch of ground beef. For breakfast, I reheat it in a skillet and add a couple eggs. Super quick and nutritious. I keep my meals pretty simple. Meat and veg. I just have a full spice cabinet.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Don't want to get into a pissing contest here... but...

My wife is functionally a non-verbal quadriplegic (think steven hawkings level of disability). We have a five year old son together. I work a full time job, with a two hour daily commute, and am the primary steak winner. We own a home, with a yard, and it seems that there is always something going on that needs to be fixed (car, wheelchairs, assistive technology devices, roofs, yards... argggg).

The dietary needs of my wife, and our son are different than mine. I sometimes find myself having to prepare three meals for dinner. And, I will not fail to meet their needs so that I can take extra time to prepare my primal meals. This means that some times, I do not have time to prepare myself a meal.

So, you know what?... I do not eat.

That's right... if I do not have time to prepare myself a healthy meal... I just skip that meal. I do not use it as an excuse to scarf down a quarter pounder from McDonalds.

For me, it's a good way to control an IF schedule. If I am really hungry, and I need a meal... I will find the time to prepare it, even if it means I am staying up until midnight to get everything done that I need to get done.... (Poor me... I don't get to watch American Idol, or whatever that night).

If I am not motivated enough to put forth the effort, then I guess I didn't really need or want that meal bad enough.

Now, for me... this works... I am overweight, so skipping an occasional meal is not going to hurt me... Just make me a little uncomfortable. Once I hit my target weight, I may need to rethink my philosophy a bit.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waskydiver View Post
    Don't want to get into a pissing contest here... but...

My wife is functionally a non-verbal quadriplegic (think steven hawkings level of disability). We have a five year old son together. I work a full time job, with a two hour daily commute, and am the primary steak winner. We own a home, with a yard, and it seems that there is always something going on that needs to be fixed (car, wheelchairs, assistive technology devices, roofs, yards... argggg).

The dietary needs of my wife, and our son are different than mine. I sometimes find myself having to prepare three meals for dinner. And, I will not fail to meet their needs so that I can take extra time to prepare my primal meals. This means that some times, I do not have time to prepare myself a meal.

So, you know what?... I do not eat.

That's right... if I do not have time to prepare myself a healthy meal... I just skip that meal. I do not use it as an excuse to scarf down a quarter pounder from McDonalds.

For me, it's a good way to control an IF schedule. If I am really hungry, and I need a meal... I will find the time to prepare it, even if it means I am staying up until midnight to get everything done that I need to get done.... (Poor me... I don't get to watch American Idol, or whatever that night).

If I am not motivated enough to put forth the effort, then I guess I didn't really need or want that meal bad enough.

Now, for me... this works... I am overweight, so skipping an occasional meal is not going to hurt me... Just make me a little uncomfortable. Once I hit my target weight, I may need to rethink my philosophy a bit.

I pretty much do that too(the unplanned IF). Not nearly as demanding a schedule as yours, but my schedule is weird and changes constantly, as i work when i'm hired. I look after ALL the house stuff while hubby is at work, work from home, take care of two animals (one a severely disabled cat).
    You sound like an awesome person and a great parent, good on you Many people would not have that sort of patience.

Anyway to OP's question. There are many places you can learn cooking basics, start here:

Cooking Techniques for Beginner and Intermediate Cooks
    After you learn that, Google <insert method here> <insert veggie/protein here> to get started on recipes.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Eating lots of big ass salads is a great way to avoid too much cooking. If you can roast a chicken or beefroast you'll have plenty of meat all week for them.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Happy2Fly is offline Junior Member
    I find the best way to conserve time is to cook up VERY large portions that I know will be impossible to finish. That way I have some leftovers to reheat when I am short on time. I probably make scrambled eggs once a day as well, which take about 5 minutes including clean up.

Here is one of my favorite primal dinners that takes almost no time to cook:

Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. Add a package of pre-sliced button mushrooms, lots of garlic, and a few generous splashes of worcestershire sauce. Let this simmer. Grab a frying pan, and add some cooking oil (lard, coconut oil, EVOO, etc.). Heat the oil up and throw in a steak. I like my steak rare, so I generally cook each side until it has just browned, maybe 2-3 min per side. I then place the steak on a plate, and pour the mushrooms over the top. Easy, quick, and delicious! If you want to add some more veggies, grab a bag of frozen mixed veggies, put some in a bowl with some butter, and pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes...

croí is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    awesome advice folks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast