Thread: T2Diabetes - when you hear someone has this on a bulletin board do you ... page

Java Finch is offline Junior Member

T2Diabetes - when you hear someone has this on a bulletin board do you ...

Primal Fuel
    Assume they are overweight? I can't help myself, but whenever I tell someone my husband is T2, I ALWAYS want to clarify that he is normal weight. Not only normal weight, but he follows a low-carb diet, works out, etc. I usually DON'T make this clarification, because I don't want to appear pathetic or overly defensive, but I always twitch because I assume that MOST people are assuming he is overweight, probably not taking very good care of himself. What do you think, a fair assumption? Or not?

If this is too OT, my apologies ... please feel free, moderator, to move to the correct board.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Maybe people assume that because the majority of type 2 diabetics are overweight and generally unhealthy which is generally why they have diabetes in the first place. I think genetics plays a role in how the damaged metabolism presents itself i.e. overweight like most people or normal weight like your husband.

Lira is offline Member
    I mentioned to a former co-worker that my sil has diabetes and they literally went, "oooooo, sorry, is she really overweight?" :/

She has Type 1, but regardless, INAPPROPRIATE, especially because you can have diabetes at any size.