Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb Products page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Low Carb Products

Primal Fuel
    Quite often I've seen posts asking for Low Carb/Sugar Free dressings, sauces etc. I've hoped to find some of these same products myself. Salad dressing is a biggie for me. I'm simply not a gifted enough cook to make my own, and right now I'm still sitting in a wheelchair recovering from a broken thigh bone. The kitchen counters are about shoulder height for me sitting down. I shop at Stater Bros. in S. Calif. I'm continually checking out the salad dressings for a bottle of something that matches my Primal requirements and I could just buy. I came across a variety of salad dressings made by Walden Farms. If you read the label you find that there is nearly 0% of everything including nasty oils. I bought some and found it fairly good. Also its not way expensive. More than the average price - about 3.99 for 12 oz. Its found on the mayo/dressing/pickle/vinegar asile. There is also a web site that offers other things like bbq sauce. I'd include a link if someone would show me how. I just Googled Walden Farms. Right now, being able to just grab it off the shelf is a big help. I would think if its found at Stater Bros. (major chain in S. Calif.) it ought to be in other stores too.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Replace parentheses with square brackets: (url=www.google.com)Great search site(/url)
    Gonna look like this: Great search site.

Trying to access their site gives me a "server not found" error, but I'm not a big fan of the "No calories, no fat..." spiel, it makes me wonder what they used for flavor and texture. For dressing a salad my favourite is still the classic olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper.

Thanks for the help.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Here's the link to Walden Farms

(Easier way to link something is to write the 'title' of whatever you want to link, highlight it with your mouse, click the hyperlink button (the blue ball without the red X), and then paste in the hyperlink and click okay)

Oh, and Rosemary, I'm a slacker when it comes to salad dressing....I usually throw a spoonful of mustard, a couple 'glugs' of whatever oil I have on hand, and then an equal amount of vinegar as mustard to a 8oz jam jar, add a marble, shake and pour (just make sure the marble stays in the jar...lol). You can change it up with yoghurt instead of mustard, different vinegars (apple cider, balsamic, white wine, red wine, et cetera), and oils.

Doesn't have to be a complicated affair with the whole 'drizzle the oil while whisking furiously' (because really, salads are not that serious for me)
    Last edited by Rapunzel; 06-01-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typos plague me today!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal is about using natural rather than processed foods. Crush garlic in the bowl, add dry salad ingredients, sprinkle over vinegar, toss, sprinkle over olive oil, toss again. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simple and unbeatable
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks, this is even a better website than I found. I tried the store locator and Ralphs and Albertsons have it too. (Calif. stores) I have to trust that there's no really bad stuff in their products. Right now with all of us trying to get to work in the morning plus me crowding a wheelchair into the kitchen it can be nerve wracking. Its just so much easier to grab a bottle.

I am SO there with you Rosemary. I work full-time and go to university full-time, so I'm usually making breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in the morning. I don't have time to do anything beyond that.

Have you checked out a brand of dressing called Bragg Organics? I know this one contains a small amount of honey (but I'm not that strict, you might be). Also, the Silver Palate makes my all-time favorite dressing, Roasted Garlic. The Lemon Garlic one is pretty good too, but VERY lemony.

The sugar and carbs they contain are fairly minimal, but I'm not a big salad eater.....so, really up to you in the end.

Feels better to know that someone is "SO there with me". I just finished putting together some chicken salad (from a pre-bought roasted chicken) so I could grab it and get out the door tomorrow morning. This was done tonight before dinner because I have a class at 7p.m. I probably could have roasted the chicken myself for a lot less money (whole chickens 77 cents a lb.this week) and I don't have money to burn either but buying pre-made items helps me to have food ready so I don't "fall off the Primal wagon". I'm going to look into the brands you mentioned, hope I can find them locally. Thanks, Rosemary

I do the same thing! We have a place called 'Earth Fare' that just opened here in town and it's actually cheaper to get a roasted organic/free-range chicken than it is to get a raw one (I don't really know how that logic works, but it does, so I roll with it!). And the cost of cooling/keeping cool a house after having the oven on for a couple hours probably MORE than makes up for the difference in price on your end (especially in CA).

My general approach is do as much as you can while still staying sane. Food should NOT stress anyone out. It's just not worth it, ya know? I eat the best I can with the time/resources I have, and that's all really anyone can ask of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast