Thread: Chocolate sheet cake? page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Chocolate sheet cake?

Can anyone recommend a *tried and true* grain-free chocolate sheet cake recipe? Something tasty and birthday cake-ish.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Do you ever eat beans?

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free!) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It's a chocolate cake that you make with garbanzo beans. I tried it a while back ago - it's really good.
    You'll have to switch up some of the ingredients, depending on how strict you are.

If anything, it's a good starting point for ideas. Good luck!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    sheet cake I assume you mean 9 X 13?

I have not gone beyond doubling the recipie, however i woudl think that you could quadruple it with no problems, at eight times i woudl only add 2 more eggs so lets see

Grammys current recipie is as follows

Mug Cake
    2 Tlbs. Almond flour
    1 1/2 T xylitol
    1 Tlbs. cocoa powder, heaping
    1 egg
    1 1/2 Tlbs. half and half or cream
    1 Tlbs. Butter or coconut oil
    Splash of Vanilla extract
    1 large coffee mug

Mix all dry ingredients in mug, add egg and blend thoroughly. Add milk, oil and vanilla and mix.

Egg provides the lift
    Cocoa the flavor and some acididty and dries it out
    oil is for tenderizing
    liquid is for moisture

Since we are not using sugar we need to be careful with the eggs. ( they sort of cancel each other out )
    Experience says this recipie makes 2 cupcakes, you want 18 and you mention wanting to make certain they dont stick.
    normal math says 9 times the ingredients but i am not buying that

Wet Team
    6 large eggs
    3/4 C unsweetened Cocoa
    1/3 C Heavy Whipping cream
    3 T Cocnut oil
    3 T Unsalted Butter ( goat is best )
    1T Vanilla Extract ( real please)
    2 Scoops of Stevia (Yes i am a snob, but there is a reason. Use the scoop that comes in the package )
    1/2 C Xylitol

Dry Team
    3/4 C Almond Flour ( or till batter stiffens slightly )
    or
    ( what i will actually use as i refuse to buy pre made almond flour, yeah i have a nut grinder )
    1/2 C ground almonds
    1/4 C ground pecans
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/4 t salt

OK this is what i envision, have not put it together but it should be a great start. watch each step at you go. where i expect you may need to alter is the cocoa ( more ) or the flour.

Mixing
    first in the bowl goes the butters , cream with stevia and xylitol. stop the mixer and add 1/2 of the cocoa and incorporate slowly. then add the vanilla and the heavy whipping cream. ( mix is probably thick at this point but hopefully not clumping into a ball )
    add eggs on at the time until totally incorporated. evaluate at 4 if you are totally soupy then add the remaining cocoa and see if it stiffens up. you are looking for something almost but not quite like the consistency of a box mix as this point, the almonds wont absorb any moisture they just provide body. if you feel good add the remaining eggs then the cocoa if you have not already put it in there.

In separate bowl mix the dry team and add all at once to the mixture. mix until just blended.
    Here is the moment of truth, you want it sticky and a bit dryer than a normal box mix cake, if it is not add more cocoa a Tablespoon at a time until it dries out. but don't and any more than three.

Now for the non stick issue. here is my suggestion. You said bundt so i assume they have weird crevices. I think butter is the right thing to use to grease the pans with. Then preheat the oven to 400 degrees place you cupcakes in the oven and wait 3 min exactly then turn the oven down to 350 and bake for 15 more min. poke test one in the middle the toothpick will come out a bit greasy but should have no batter.

Please let me know how it turns out I have one idea if it is too wet but lets start with what we have.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to produce anything resembling a cake while following Primal guidelines, particularly without it costing a fortune in alternative flours and almond meal.

Instead maybe consider shooting for something cream pie or cheesecake-ish?

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    The Food Lover's (Primal Palate) has one that looks Amazing: The Food Lovers' Primal Palate: Happy Birthday Bill!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    that looks great
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    The Food Lover's (Primal Palate) has one that looks Amazing: The Food Lovers' Primal Palate: Happy Birthday Bill!
    +1
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Shira533 is offline Junior Member

Made this weekend!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The recipe requires a food processor or access to ground pecans but other than that, not too much in the way of specialty foods! I subsituted 1/2 C raw honey rather than 1 C sugar and it worked out perfect! This cake is dense and rich, and all sorts of chocolatey!

Recipe - Nana Joss Chocolate Pecan Cake - NYTimes.com

FOR THE CAKE:

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or pareve margarine

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 cup pecans

6 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup sugar (or 1/2 C raw honey)

Dash of salt

FOR THE GARNISH:

3 tablespoons grated piloncillo sugar or brown sugar (didn't use any sugar)

Finely grated zest of 1 lime

Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup juice)

1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and halved

1 pint blackberries, washed

Lightly sweetened whipped cream, optional.

1. For cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease with 1 tablespoon butter.

2. Using a double boiler or pan over simmering water, melt together chocolate and remaining 1/4 cup butter. Set aside to cool.

3. Using a blender, chop pecans finely. Add eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt and melted chocolate mixture, blending until smooth. Pour batter into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes; cake should be moist but not wet. Allow to cool completely.

4. For the garnish: In a large mixing bowl, combine piloncillo or brown sugar, lime zest and lime juice. Add strawberries and blackberries, and toss gently. Just before serving, toss again and spoon on top of cake. If desired, serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.