Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like crap. Thoughts? page

Robynbee is offline Senior Member

I feel like crap. Thoughts?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so here's the deal. I've been eating strict primal for about a week and a half, and have decided to eat VLC for the time being to see what effect it has on my body. So far, I feel more balanced (less sugar-induced mood swings) and I feel better about my body. My body, however, hasn't lost weight, and doesn't really look different, which is fine, I'm in this for the long run so it doesn't matter to me if I see results immediately. I know they'll come.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm experiencing 'carb flu', or if maybe I'm just not cut out for eating VLC, but I've felt exhausted for the past few days. I've always been pretty good about watching my carb intake, I'm gluten-intolerant and I've avoided pretty much anything remotely grainy for the past 10 or so years, so I'm not sure if 'carb flu' could apply? However, the week before I started eating strictly primal, I kind of went overboard and ate a lot of crap food (it was exam time, and I need better coping mechanisms).

Also, I've been getting dizzy spells more and more frequently. This morning I was doing yoga and had quite a few moments where I got tunnel vision and had to wait for it to pass, even sitting down at one point.

I don't know if I'm in Ketosis, I'm not sure how long it takes me to get into that state as I've never been in it before (knowingly). If I am, could this just be my body adjusting to burning fat instead of carbs?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this, you're a wealth of information!

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    if your taking in less than 50 grams of carbs per day you "should" be in ketosis.
    when i was in ketosis i would get dizzy if i was sitting and stood up. once i added a little more healthty fats like handfuls of raw almonds or seeds it helped out ALOT!

stick it out, stick it out!

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like low carb flu. Stay the course, you'll be fine.
    Georgette

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't start VLC right when your body starts adjusting to primal. That's a lot of variables to throw at it. I would wait several weeks before making changes like that. For one, you give your body a chance to adjust, and also, you give yourself the opportunity to better look at what variables cause change. I do not think this is carb flu if you've been relatively low carb for so long.

Thanks guys!

I feel a bit nauseous right now, not sure what that's all about.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynbee View Post
    Thanks guys!

I feel a bit nauseous right now, not sure what that's all about.
    i ge tthat when i an dumping some particular toxin out of my system. Remember the hepatic vein comes in right arounf th colon
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    LOL, 1,5 weeks, give me a break. Yes, this is low-carb flu. Yes, your body will adjust to the new type of eating. No, you're not special ("I'm not cut out for this."). Eat plenty of fats (egg, meat, fish, avocado, coconut, olive oil, butter) and keep your fat/carb/protein ratio 50+/30-/20-30. It's normal, transitions can last up to two months (I'm 6 weeks in and my body finally started fueling on fats more efficiently from last week).

Geez Edje, a little harsh? I appreciate your advice, but the sarcasm ("no, you're not special"), was just unnecessary.
    Responses like yours make people feel stupid for asking questions on here, which is kind of the whole point of this place.

I wasn't sure about the transition period, I didn't know it could take up to two months for some people. That's good
    to know.
    Last edited by Robynbee; 06-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    As Robb Wolf says about the newbie low-carb flu, "You're in the suck."
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

That's a really good description.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast