Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep, Weight, Productivity page

Digby is offline Senior Member

Sleep, Weight, Productivity

We keep hearing more all the time about the importance of getting enough restful sleep. My own near decade of sleep struggles, and accompanying weight-gain, make this NYTimes article all the more relevant. What sleep issues have you had?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/he...me&ref=general
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    honestly i get between 6-7hrs per night not 7-8 and it hasnt affected me. like with anything i think its all in the person

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I was always a 7-hours-a-night sleeper, and agree we don't all fit this average, but regardless, I would bet most people are probably not getting enough restful sleep--especially young people.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I only get about 7 hours per night, and unless I prove to be hypoglycemic, I really am affected by it.
    I don't know what's going on, but I have trouble falling asleep, and wake up pretty early in the morning. My room is as dark as it can get, but I guess I could stop using my computer in the PM... didn't seem to affect me earlier, though.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I actually sleep less now. I used to sleep 10-12 hrs, now i only need maybe 7-8.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    I only get about 7 hours per night, and unless I prove to be hypoglycemic, I really am affected by it.
    I don't know what's going on, but I have trouble falling asleep, and wake up pretty early in the morning. My room is as dark as it can get, but I guess I could stop using my computer in the PM... didn't seem to affect me earlier, though.
    Download a free program that dims your PC screen at night so it's not as bright if you need to use it.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I sleep between 8 and 12 hours a day, and am always exhausted. It's a real struggle for me to crawl out of bed in the morning. I know it's affecting my weight loss, but unless I sleep outside I just can't seem to have a normal sleep schedule...

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I have sleep apnea and probably had it from age 10 i think it has affected lots in my life.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    Download a free program that dims your PC screen at night so it's not as bright if you need to use it.
    I have to leave the computer alone after about 10pm, or I'd be awake all night.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've always been able to fall asleep in just a few minutes and not wake up unless the alarm or one of my dogs goes off. Doesn't matter if I'm on the computer, reading or even drinking coffee before bed, if I'm horizonal, I'm asleep - sound asleep.

Not a morning person though. No matter if I went to sleep at 9:00 p.m. or 2:00 a.m., I feel like death on a biscuit for an hour or so when I do wake up. I've never understood the whole "wake up feeling refreshed" thing.

I remember way back in grade school, when someone would say they missed yesterday because they woke up sick. I used to think, how can you tell? I wake up sick every morning; headache, stomach ache, stiff muscles and hating life. Couple hours later and it's all good. No change in that since going Primal either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast