Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep, Weight, Productivity page 2

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    Download a free program that dims your PC screen at night so it's not as bright if you need to use it.
    I already have it...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    I actually sleep less now. I used to sleep 10-12 hrs, now i only need maybe 7-8.
    Perhaps less quantity but better quality?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I need about 8-9 hours. I was sleep deprived for years, due to bad habits. I've gone through periods of insomnia (acupuncture helped that) and now I usually fall asleep fine, but I have an issue with excessive REM sleep (vivid dreams all night) and too little slow wave sleep (which is when your body repairs itself and the brain rests) so sometimes I wake up feeling like I was hit by a truck, lol!

I do feel more alert in the mornings since getting on a dopamine support supplement, though 9it's like my brain turns on a lot faster). I think this might be an issue for a lot of non-morning people. Some other things that will make you feel like crap in the morning are low cortisol (you'll be more achy, too) and sleep apnea, which a lot of people have and don't know it.
    You don't have to have be overweight to have apnea- most apnea is actually due to underdeveloped airways related to underdeveloped upper and lower jaws from generations of poor nutrition (think Weston Prices findings).

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Hazyjane, have you tried having a sublingual methyl-B12 supplement (it just melts away under your tongue) in the evening before bedtime? With that and a dark bedroom, I started sleeping like a log when I first began it. One needs good B12 status to make melatonin.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Hazyjane, have you tried having a sublingual methyl-B12 supplement (it just melts away under your tongue) in the evening before bedtime? With that and a dark bedroom, I started sleeping like a log when I first began it. One needs good B12 status to make melatonin.
    I don't have any problem falling asleep anymore (and I have tried methylcobalamin at night) Lately I'm asleep within 10 min. I think I make enough melatonin- in fact, when I used to have problems falling asleep AND I was dreaming too much, melatonin exacerbated the dreaming, although it did help me fall asleep.

I wouldn't mind the vivid dreams (they're pretty fun- I dreamed of shopping the other night and I can still remember the clothes!) except lack of slow wave sleep makes you feel so much less rested. I def. feel better on mornings that I can't remember my dreams clearly.
    Last edited by hazyjane; 06-02-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Sleep oh where to begin!

A high carb diet triggered mania for years, but also insomnia to the point it was hard to work out which triggered the other. Spent probably my entire life sleep-deprived and it affects everything and particularly in my case mental health. However, the very low carb diet cured all the mental ill-health and no more mania but sleeping is still very hit and miss. I seem particularly sensitive to stress and when busy and under pressure find sleep harder.

Things that have helped - very low carb, dark room, ear plugs, eye blind, no computer after 8 pm (and with flux loaded), no caffiene, no eating later than 6pm, less stress, magnesium during the evening.

The biggest negative is the affect it has on appetite and fat storing - the brain senses tiredness and screams for carbs.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I used to love a cup of decaf coffee after my meal when we ate out, especially since I don't eat desserts, but so often there is even enough caffeine in the decaf (varies quite a lot--Starbucks as over 20% caffeine in their decaf), or the waiter forgets and gives regular; anyway after staying awake all night a couple nights ago, I decided the coffee has to go unless I make it at home.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12