Thread: Primal Cookout/Tailgate food page

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member

Primal Cookout/Tailgate food

Shop Now
    Obviously the meat is the easy part. But how about side dishes? My husband and I are both Primal, and we tailgate for college football home games in the fall. Everyone usually brings side dishes or desserts. I can always make almond butter brownies for dessert, but the side dishes have me pretty stumped. I'd imagine I'll get pretty sick of coleslaw. Does anyone have any good recipes for side dishes we can bring?

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    How about grilling some fruits/veggies to go with the meat? Mushrooms, onions, zucchini, peaches, pineapple, and tomatoes are great on the grill!

You could also bring other summer salad type dishes, like cucumber and tomato, fruit salad, etc. Potato salad is a popular choice too--I'm sure someone has invented a sweet potato salad that would be worth trying.

Good luck!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Any sort of salad, dips served with vegetables or pork rinds, guacamole, sweet potatoes baked in the coals, homemade pickled vegetables, tzaziki, grilled halloumi cheese, marinated and grilled kale (Mark has a recipe), baba ghanoush, muhammara...Let me know if you'd like recipes

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Pickles, peppers and onions sauteed in butter or pan drippings, baked sweet potato. My mother makes a potato salad with ground mustard and olive oil for a dressing, if you don't mind doing potatoes once in a while.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Veggie kebabs!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

StarryEyedSarahJ is offline Junior Member
    I second the grilled fruit! Pineapple and mango are my favorite to grill. As an alternative to coleslaw, I shred raw carrots and raw beets, toss together with the juice from a fresh lemon and some chopped fresh cilantro. Serve chilled. It's very summery and refreshing, not to mention the beautiful colors!
    Wag more, bark less.