Thread: Spicy Shrimp/Cucumber salad page

Rapunzel is offline Member

Spicy Shrimp/Cucumber salad

Shop Now

So Ohio has basically skipped spring all-together, and I've been eating a lot of cold foods to balance it out. I made this a while back for my website right when my mint started taking over my yard, and when I made it again it dawned on me, duh! this is awesome primal food.

1 lb Shrimp, de-veined, cooked and peeled (I remove the tails too, simply so it can be eaten with a fork easily)
    1/2 peeled cucumber, sliced into rounds and then quarters
    2-3 tablespoons of your favorite fat (bacon fat would kick ass with the shrimp!)
    1 tablespoon chili paste (more or less to taste)
    1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
    6-7 mint leaves, chiffonaded (which, I blatantly forgot when I was making this dish)
    1 tsp lime zest
    Juice from 1 lime
    Salt, to taste

Mix all ingredients except salt together. Taste (might not even need salt). Add salt to taste. This dish is much better the next day when the flavors have had a chance to get to know one another. Refrigerate immediately.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Yum! I was actually thinking that a bag of frozen cooked shrimp for quick meals would rock. Now I have a new recipe to try!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    That looks good Rapunzel. Ohio is the suck when it comes to spring. We never get a decent spring or fall around here.
    Georgette

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Have to give this a try.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    I love bacon fat and save it in the fridge. How exactly would you add it to the ingredients? Melt it and mix it with something else? I tried adding bacon fat to a salad last week. It solidified when it came in contact with the cold things and left just sort of a greasy paste on the leaves.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 06-01-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I love bacon fat and save it in the fridge. How exactly would you add it to the ingredients? Melt it and mix it with something else? I tried adding bacon fat to a salad last week. It solidified when it came in contact with the cold things and left just sort of a greasy paste on the leaves.
    I used a really nice olive oil I got from a friend, but if I was going to do bacon fat, I'd probably peel the shrimp and then cook them in the bacon fat as opposed to boiling them like I did. I have a feeling, like with the salad you did last week, if you just melted the bacon fat and mixed it in, once it cooled it would have a greasy mouth-feel.

You could always mix the bacon fat with the lime juice and create an emulsion to prevent that. Basically just beat the heck out of it to get the fat molecules to bond to the water in lime juice. Just make sure to use a 3:1 ratio of lime juice to bacon fat or you'll essentially get mayonnaise. ...which, hey, there are worse things to end up with!

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    I used a really nice olive oil I got from a friend, but if I was going to do bacon fat, I'd probably peel the shrimp and then cook them in the bacon fat as opposed to boiling them like I did. I have a feeling, like with the salad you did last week, if you just melted the bacon fat and mixed it in, once it cooled it would have a greasy mouth-feel.

You could always mix the bacon fat with the lime juice and create an emulsion to prevent that. Basically just beat the heck out of it to get the fat molecules to bond to the water in lime juice. Just make sure to use a 3:1 ratio of lime juice to bacon fat or you'll essentially get mayonnaise. ...which, hey, there are worse things to end up with!
    Thanks, I agree entirely.