Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Ex-vegetarian in need of support page

  1. #1
    harlekini's Avatar
    harlekini is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7

    Ex-vegetarian in need of support

    Shop Now
    Hello everyone!

    I'm 22 and started to eat meat about two weeks ago.
    Originally stopped eating meat around when I was 12, with occasional eggs and chicken. Had never really eaten meat before that unless it was minced or sausage and had to quite much be force fed. Didn't even like fish and am allergic to egg.

    See, my parents only made lamb (cultural), and the smell was too much for me. So I thought all meat was the same.

    So of course they assured me when I was a teenager that vegetarianism is fine etc etc in school and gave me the green light. Of course I felt sorry for the animals and all, but it wasn't for that which I went vegetarian, I just didn't like the taste of meat and gradually came to think of it as more and more disgusting and didn't even dare try. I also thought it was extremely unhealthy and linked to all modern diseases and obesity, which media claims. It is quite sick that it is much more okay to eat unlimited amounts of sugar, than to eat an ounce of meat in today's society.

    I recently decided to lose weight and came to the realization of how much my diet had damaged me.
    I ate a lot of greens, not much fruits, quite some nuts, moderate amount of sweets, but my biggest vice was something I rarely see others like - whole grains. I LOVE whole grains. Oatmeal, Kellogg's All-Bran EXTRA FIBER, bread. I could eat the whole package in an hour. Of course the fiber didn't do much for my tummy except for making it worse.

    So now I have learned that all I blamed on "aging", "bad genetics", "society" etc, had very much to do with my diet. I have suffered from bad teeth (hey, I only ate whole grains!), RLS, extreme fatigue, depression, poor digestion, constant bloating, eczema, dandruff (apparently missing zinc?), joint pain (genetics???), poor skin hue, flaky skin, poor healing, poor stamina, loss of sex drive, dark circles under the eyes, muscle cramp, muscle loss, extremely disturbed eating patterns, never felt satiety, carb addiction, extremely poor memory, brain fogginess, you name it, I had it.

    It was horrible that I was starting to feel more and more stupid as time went by, as if my brain cells were actually decreasing!

    I started to connect the dots once I learned why it was that I just couldn't stop eating carbs. I was addicted. And they were killing me. It might be that I'm genetically predisposed to be addicted to them and not efficient in handling them in my body, since my mother suffers from rheumatism and is also carb addicted.

    I first started by cutting the bread and felt much less bloated and lost some weight. A few weeks later I cut out the rest of the grains and added meat to my diet. Pretty much everything I eat now is for the first time, so I'm extremely curious and am having trouble not to eat grains at restaurants! So I'm not completely grain free (very food curious!). My vegetarian diet was actually very yummy and not bland at all, but I have always loved food and wanted to taste every culture so to speak. It is however still scary and a bit of a struggle to eat meat, especially those that aren't cooked the proper way.

    The improvements I have noticed so far after two weeks are: more energy, softer skin (it's more like marshmallow now than mars), my sex drive is back (wow it's been 6 years. I thought it was due to age), less dandruff, and better digestion. I have not lost weight, but actually gained a little bit. I would very much like to lose weight but I'm very curious about the new food and am more concerned with regaining my health.

    So I would like to hear if there are other ex-ve*gans out there, and how their healing process went, how much time it took, etc? When did your symptoms become better?
    Last edited by harlekini; 06-01-2011 at 01:44 AM.

  2. #2
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    There are quite a few, what jumps out at me in your story is though, why would a 22 year old ever think any of her issues are due to "aging" ... not bashing. Anyway, welcome it looks like your head is in the right place. Your weight will start to shift soon enough.

  3. #3
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    Welcome to the Ranks of the Apex Predator. Say goodbye to the Sheeple for good
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

  4. #4
    apple's Avatar
    apple is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    343
    I'm an ex-vegan. I had no idea how to cook meat, and I feared chicken because of salmonella. Biggest thing to remember for me is to use different cutting boards for raw meat and vegetables! There are a lot of good resources on the internet that will tell you how to cook the "perfect" anything. Try some different ones and see which recipes you like. There's no need to go really fancy to start out with. I season most of my beef with just salt and pepper, and it's delicious that way.

    Have you tried fish again yet? I was never a fish fan before, but I really like salmon, mahi, and tuna now. They are lightly flavored fish, especially the mahi. And I've heard flounder is the fish for people who don't like fish, but I haven't tried any yet.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

    2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

  5. #5
    lecz0r's Avatar
    lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    164
    Ex-vegetarian here. Now a quasi-carnivore... and the healthiest, leanest, strongest I've ever been in my life.
    I think you are on the right track, well done.

  6. #6
    jaysond's Avatar
    jaysond is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by lecz0r View Post
    Ex-vegetarian here. Now a quasi-carnivore... and the healthiest, leanest, strongest I've ever been in my life.
    I think you are on the right track, well done.
    me too. everything this sr. member said applies to me. i was a veggie and a vegan at one point. i am much better. i sowly added meat back in doing 1/4 cups per day, then moved to 1/2 cup servings then up to 4-8oz per serving. that worked for me. a friend of mine went straight to 4-8oz servings of meat and it didnt affect her. i dont do much dairy but thats just preference not habit

    i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

    1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

    currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

  7. #7
    Dellastreet's Avatar
    Dellastreet is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    55
    I have been vegan 3.5 years, ostensibly to help my Type 2 diabetes. I have lost some weight, and most of my blood work is usually good, but my blood glucose readings have not been in control for years. Menopause really messed things up. Until then, I didn't need meds, after then, I have been on every regime known to endocrinologists.

    I tried McDougall (Sisson wrote an article about being at 'vegan island,' mentioning McDougall's program). I still think the man's heart is in the right place, but no way could I eat all those carbs. And, I'd feel like a failure because there were people who could eat that way and reduce or get off of their diabetic meds.

    I decided to do Atkins because there is now a veg*n option, but as I thought about the carb thing again, and how much carb allowed (the new Atkins allows 50 grms to start for veg*n)s, I wondered if I would really attack the diabetes and started looking around for other options. I think I have found it in Primal eating.

    Today I bought 2 Angus beef patties. I had to think about how to cook them, but I did and they were good (shared one with the son). I have chicken in the fridge for tomorrow. I feel like a traitor, because I have gotten into some animal welfare causes, but I have to get this diabetes under control and eating a ton of rice and beans isn't going to do it for me. I wish it had.

    So, OP, I'm another one, sliding into becoming and omnivore again and being rather sad about it, but I don't know what else to do.

    btw - what is 'quasi omnivore'? Once you start eating meat, aren't you an omnivore? Or maybe I can think of myself as 'semi-veg'? : )

  8. #8
    rayout's Avatar
    rayout is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellastreet View Post
    I have been vegan 3.5 years, ostensibly to help my Type 2 diabetes. I have lost some weight, and most of my blood work is usually good, but my blood glucose readings have not been in control for years. Menopause really messed things up. Until then, I didn't need meds, after then, I have been on every regime known to endocrinologists.

    I tried McDougall (Sisson wrote an article about being at 'vegan island,' mentioning McDougall's program). I still think the man's heart is in the right place, but no way could I eat all those carbs. And, I'd feel like a failure because there were people who could eat that way and reduce or get off of their diabetic meds.

    I decided to do Atkins because there is now a veg*n option, but as I thought about the carb thing again, and how much carb allowed (the new Atkins allows 50 grms to start for veg*n)s, I wondered if I would really attack the diabetes and started looking around for other options. I think I have found it in Primal eating.

    Today I bought 2 Angus beef patties. I had to think about how to cook them, but I did and they were good (shared one with the son). I have chicken in the fridge for tomorrow. I feel like a traitor, because I have gotten into some animal welfare causes, but I have to get this diabetes under control and eating a ton of rice and beans isn't going to do it for me. I wish it had.

    So, OP, I'm another one, sliding into becoming and omnivore again and being rather sad about it, but I don't know what else to do.

    btw - what is 'quasi omnivore'? Once you start eating meat, aren't you an omnivore? Or maybe I can think of myself as 'semi-veg'? : )
    Look for humanely raised, grass fed/pastured meat. This ensures the animal lived a happy life doing what it would have done naturally - only protected from predators and given easy access to food and water.

  9. #9
    Zuudy's Avatar
    Zuudy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1
    I'm not completely primal, I'm easing into it. I never liked meat and went completely vegan about two years ago. I started eating meat again six months or so ago? I've been gradually reducing my carbs and upping my meats and fats. I feel a thousand times better when I eat lots of fat.

    In the beginning I did experience some negative side effects, but I found out that was because I'm allergic to dairy, which I was eating at the time. Other than that I experienced all the same things you did when you were veg and they've all gone away for me, especially now that I know about dairy. I think once all the carbs are out of my diet I'll be able to do anything. If only I could get there D:

  10. #10
    denbro01's Avatar
    denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by rayout View Post
    Look for humanely raised, grass fed/pastured meat. This ensures the animal lived a happy life doing what it would have done naturally - only protected from predators and given easy access to food and water.
    Exactlly! Support animal welfare with your food dollars! I have lived on a sheep farm and have seen the life cycle of a lamb from being born to being on my plate. It was beautiful. This lamb got to spend its' entire life with it's Momma and sibs and friends, and had nothing but a good life. We even got a mobile butcher who would come to the farm and calmly take each individual lamb away from the herd to quickly kill it. Zero stress on the lamb or the rest of the herd. Now that is animal welfare.
    Shop at farmer's market, seek out your local farms, shop at stores that promote animal welfare standards. Unfortunately the all mighty dollar runs our world...use your dollars wisely and positively!
    Last edited by denbro01; 06-01-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •