Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to paleo: my experiences and questions page

nickh is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey guys. I've been on the paleo diet for about a month now. Prior to that, I was vegetarian for 3-4 years.

I'm enjoying the paleo diet, but have noticed a couple of concerning changes.

First, I require more sleep. As a vegetarian, my sleep cycle was like clockwork. I needed 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep, rarely set an alarm, and would spring out of bed in the morning, wide awake and ready for anything. Now, even if I get 8 hours of sleep, I'm bleary in the morning, and don't feel refreshed.

Has anyone else experienced changes in their sleep requirements and/or patterns?

The other disconcerting change that I've noticed is my desire for chocolate: it's sky-rocketed. This is very strange for me. As a vegetarian, I ate *very* little candy, chocolate, etc, because I rarely craved it. I actually went 13 months without a single bite of chocolate, just for fun.

Last but not least, my sex drive has decreased significantly.

To give you a bit more context, I'm 28 years old, 6'1", ~160lbs, and train parkour 2-3 times each week. My paleo diet mostly consists of:

Breakfast: A large bowl of fruit (most of which is berries) with 2 handfuls of nuts (almonds, macadamias, and walnuts) and some coconut milk. When I get to work, I have 2 boiled eggs.

Lunch variation #1: A twist on Mark's "Big Ass Salad":

* spinach instead of mixed greens, but only half as much;

* chopped red and yellow pepper (half of a pepper in total);

* 6 cherry tomatoes;

* sundried tomatoes that've been sitting in olive oil;

* 6 cremeni mushrooms;

* half of an avocado;

* an 85g can of tuna;

* 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil.

Lunch variation #2: Leftovers from dinner.

Dinner variation #1: Beef curry, and curried or roasted vegetables.

Dinner variation #2: Fish, and curried or roasted vegetables.

Dinner variation #3: Shrimp and vegetable curry.

Yes, I love curry. Yes, I cook everything myself.

Most days, I also have a piece of fruit and/or a handful of nuts somewhere before or after lunch.

All of the red meat that I eat is organic. Most of it is grass-fed. Some of it is grain-finished; it's hard to prevent that.

All of the seafood that I eat is wild-caught.

Some of the fruit and veggies that I eat are organic.

There's always one dinner each week that isn't completely paleo. I do my best, but pizza or potato usually makes an appearance.

I tracked my paleo diet on FitDay.com for 12 days. Here's a screenshot of the overview of my diet.

So, are those changes that I explained above abnormal during the first month of switching to the paleo diet? Can I expect them to pass?

Thanks for your advice!

Nick

maba is offline Senior Member

I have noticed that I too require more sleep now, unlike some people here in the forum who've mentioned they sleep better but need fewer hours of sleep. As for the desire of chocolate, I have it and always have had. Only, now I'm able to satisfy it with really dark chocolate.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Hmmm...I've read that insufficient magnesium can cause chocolate cravings. When I was eating a standard American diet, I noticed that when I regularly took my cal/mag/D supplement, my chocolate cravings decreased dramatically.

BTW, I just updated the original post with a 3rd disconcerting change that I've noticed: my sex drive has decreased significantly.

@maba I'm wondering if my need for more sleep is simply due to my body adjusting to the new diet, or if it's because now I'm eating more foods that require more digestion.

@Pikaia Thanks for that tip about magnesium. For the past ~10 days, I've been forgetting to take my daily omega-3 and multi-vitamin supplements. I'll be more vigilant about them, which should increase my magnesium intake.

Nick, when I went low-carb first, the first thing I noticed was insomnia but after my body got used it, it's the exact opposite. I need more sleep now. If you've been on it for a month, I would imagine your body is adjusted to the diet.

@maba Hrmm, that's disappointing to hear. I was very happy with my "sleeping abilities" when I was veg. I'm going to stick this out and see what happens. If this changes, I'll let you know.

How long have you been on the PB/paleo diet for?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Nick, In my case, the dramatically positive changes I experienced are tightly linked to being in perpetual ketosis. I might be wrong, but your carb levels would be high enough to prevent it. I personally need to be around <50g to comfortably stay in ketosis. But that&#39;s me.

If I were you I&#39;d cut the fruits a lot, increase the fats and have some patience. You are just starting so your body might still be adapting.

I&#39;d also recommend supplementing with fish oil instead of flax. The average person absorbs o-3 much more easily from animal sources.

Good luck.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I&#39;ve been Primal for 3 months and low carb for 2 months before that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast