Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conference and plane food page

elektro is offline Member

Conference and plane food

Shop Now
    I'll be out of town at a conference all week. The meals served there are pastry's for breakfast and for lunch a sandwich with a bag of chips and a cookie. The afternoon snack is more cookies and candy. For dinner I can usually eat at a restaurant and at least avoid carbs there. I really don't want to cheat on this trip. The problem is that there are not really many other food options in the area and no Whole Foods in the area that I know of. I need options for meal replacements that I can either pack and bring with me, or purchase from a health store or supermarket. It's also a long flight so I need some foods that I can bring on the plane. I plan to get some protein shakes for breakfast and pack some almonds for a snack. Any other suggestions on meal replacements that I can either pack or that is easy to find? Bars, shakes, ect?

Thanks.

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    Jerky, hard boild eggs, veggies. If the lunches are brought in, see if they have a gluten free or "protein" option.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girl scout View Post
    Jerky, hard boild eggs, veggies. If the lunches are brought in, see if they have a gluten free or "protein" option.
    That's pretty much it - been there, it's life in the modern world, it'll be over soon.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    I regularly travel to the opposite side of the world where door to door the timespan is 24-30 hours. Honestly, on a primal/paleo diet this hasn't been an issue. First, even not counting the quality of the airplane food itself, I am not inclined to need to eat everything served, hunger just isn't that much of an issue. I eat the primal/paleo approved things served and sleep. I do pack a good bag of nuts, jerky, and dark chocolate for emergency.

As for the conference, eat at the hotel and load up on eggs and bacon. If the hotel breakfast is too expensive for your budget, hit McD for egg mcmuffins and throw away the buns. It is survivable for a week. Or you can take alot of protein powder with you and buy locally a pint or quart of heavy cream or coconut milk to mix with the powder first thing in the morning and you are good through lunch (at least). Or hit protein powder only then followup with a short breve latte (or heavier) at the coffeeshop (caff or decaff as suits).

Alternately treat the mornings as IF and skip food until lunch. If you are up to it.

Now everything I said is low on veggies. Use your lunch and dinner opportunities to load up on those and any calories you skimped from during the day.

Basically with only minor preparation on your part this should be survivable. Granted what works for me might not work for you. But if you are truly primal/paleo adapted you can survive long stretches of the day without heavy eating if you prime your fats the right way at the right time.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I pack a lot of walnuts and tuna steaks/smoked salmon in foil packs that keep a long time. I'm not into bars that much, but for trips like that, I get some Glucerna bars in the diabetic section at the pharmacy for the munchies. (I know the bars are not Primal, but I am just as interested in staying low carb as I am Primal)

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    If you did want bars as an option, Lara bars (or nakd Bars here in the UK) are delicious and made entirely from nuts and dates. Again: jerky/biltong (or Pemmican), nuts, and dark chocolate. Coconut chips are also travel-friendly, as are fruits like apples, bananas, etc. HB eggs and veggie crudites would work for the plane ride I'd imagine, but get a bit manky if you left them much longer after that. usually plane food includes a protein and a veg, though, so that might be enough.

Also, don't be afraid to insist on alternatives. Lie if you have to, tell them you are a coeliac, or diabetic, whatever you have to do to get some proper food. Just because everyone else is happy to gorge themselves on shite foods doesn't mean you should suffer!

cassel_man is offline Member
    Stop stressing about your diet, eat. Grok didn't stress over what he ate, he ate what was available. A day or two of less-than-primal eating is not going to kill you. It won't even derail your efforts significantly.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    The little peel-open tins of sardines would work as a protein option too. And I'm not sure that I've ever seen a conference that didn't offer a gluten-free option. Have you asked?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    Grok didn't stress over what he ate, he ate what was available.
    These kinds of posts are going to make me insane. So since Grok would have eaten a bag of Fritos, I should do the same? Is that the message you take away from all of this? I see this every day now and I really think the whole stupid Grok thing has just got to go.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    These kinds of posts are going to make me insane. So since Grok would have eaten a bag of Fritos, I should do the same? Is that the message you take away from all of this? I see this every day now and I really think the whole stupid Grok thing has just got to go.
    Grok would use the ignore feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast