Thread: Bit confused about the biology page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Bit confused about the biology

Primal Fuel
    Well, over a week in now, and feeling good. I have been eating great food though it's been a bit difficult to get my head around eating bacon fat! (I used to cut every little bit off) LOL. But things have been tasting so much better with butter and fat! i don't think I've noticed any weight loss yet, it's still early days, and I must admit I haven't been exercising as much as I could (thought I've got the diet, play and sleep parts of the blueprint sown pretty good! LOL)

I'm still a little confused about how the body utilizes carbs, as opposed to proteins and fat, so I'm just trying to get my head around this... can anyone help out?

1. If you were doing Atkins, or a NO-Carb diet... your body would switch from using carbs to using fat as it's primary energy source (right?)
    2. However, the brain needs sugar to function, so that is why the transition is sometimes icky... However, once transitioned what fuel source does the brain use then? Fats? or does it 'make glucose'?
    3. Then, are there any health risks from being totally zero carb?
    4. If you eat a high fat-protien, low-carb diet (so you are still eating carbs coming from veg and fruit) - Primal - does your body still make that switch? ie; lets say you eat an avocado chicken salad, with lots of veg and olive oil - flax oil dressing - does it switch go back to using carb as the fuel source?
    5. This 'switch' of fuel source is what causes the weight loss, right? Your metabolism raises, and the body uses your own fat as a source of fuel - so if you want to lose weight quickly you should lower your carbs? (Not that I agree with doing this as I believe that fruit, veg and the fiber they provide are really important). But basically, cutting carbs does aid in weightloss?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Almost everyone here knows more about this than I do, but yes, cutting back on the carbs forces your body to burn something other than sugar for fuel.

Just a thought, though. If you've been doing this for about a week and don't think you've made any progress, make sure you weigh yourself and/or take measurements. I didn't feel any smaller either, but my BF noticed it, and the scale said I was losing fat. It just might not be perceptable to you, so get the stats.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hunt3R is offline Member
    You should read the Perfect Health Diet and Good Calories, Bad Calories if you want to understand more fully about the biology of your digestive system. Also, the Perfect Health Diet website has a good series of 4 articles on the Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets: Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, I: Can There Be a Carbohydrate Deficiency? | Perfect Health Diet

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I'm still a little confused about how the body utilizes carbs, as opposed to proteins and fat, so I'm just trying to get my head around this... can anyone help out?
    [*]If you were doing Atkins, or a NO-Carb diet... your body would switch from using carbs to using fat as it's primary energy source (right?)
    The primary players are the hormones insulin and leptin.

[*]However, the brain needs sugar to function, so that is why the transition is sometimes icky... However, once transitioned what fuel source does the brain use then? Fats? or does it 'make glucose'?
    Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today

[*]Then, are there any health risks from being totally zero carb?
    While there may be no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, you don't have to be obsessive about avoiding them. Big ticket item is to avoid the highly processed junk foods.

[*]If you eat a high fat-protien, low-carb diet (so you are still eating carbs coming from veg and fruit) - Primal - does your body still make that switch? ie; lets say you eat an avocado chicken salad, with lots of veg and olive oil - flax oil dressing - does it switch go back to using carb as the fuel source?
    Your body will always try to burn off the sugars first because in high quantities it's toxic. You'll see it described as the preferential fuel because the body prefers not to have it in the system, not because it's the premium fuel. I'd avoid industrial seed based oils.

[*]This 'switch' of fuel source is what causes the weight loss, right? Your metabolism raises, and the body uses your own fat as a source of fuel - so if you want to lose weight quickly you should lower your carbs? (Not that I agree with doing this as I believe that fruit, veg and the fiber they provide are really important). But basically, cutting carbs does aid in weightloss?
    If you want to burn fat, you have to keep your fasting insulin levels low.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Many thanks for the links. Very interesting!

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    And I wouldn't put a huge emphasis on bacon fat, it might not be the evil that everyone else thinks it is but there's definitely better options, like grass fed beefy goodness. It's just one more small change you can try and see if you feel better, bacon is pretty damn processed unless you're buying fresh stuff.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    You should read the Perfect Health Diet and Good Calories, Bad Calories if you want to understand more fully about the biology of your digestive system. Also, the Perfect Health Diet website has a good series of 4 articles on the Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets: Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, I: Can There Be a Carbohydrate Deficiency? | Perfect Health Diet
    Yuk.

That "Perfect Health" series was weak and alarmist.

I lost 120 lb on as few carbs as possible and experienced none of those problems. It just seemed a bit kooky like an infomercial trying to scare me off and into doing something else.

If one is interested in losing weight, going low-carb works. You can think about adding some healthy carbs when you get to the weight you want.