Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denise Minger: Is Wild Fruit Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? page

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

Denise Minger: Is Wild Fruit Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar?

Primal Fuel
    Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? « Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise Minger
    For those looking at evolution for clues about the optimal human diet, fruit is often regarded with suspicion. On one hand, few foods are “intended” for consumption in the way fruit is: In a lovely act of symbiosis, plants offer nourishment to the animal kingdom in trade for seed dispersal. But on the other hand—the one purpled with blackberry stains—we humans are famous for playing Food God, turning once-healthy things into gross abominations. For hundreds (and in some cases, thousands) of years, we’ve been selectively breeding certain fruits to become bigger, prettier, easier to eat, and easier to transport thousands of miles away from their mothering trees. As a result, the waxed apples and seedless watermelons lining store aisles are a far cry from their wild ancestors.

And for the health minded, this is a predicament. How can we reconcile this year-round supply of modern fruit with the wild stuff we encountered in the past?
    What does everybody think? I'll give up fruit when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Ha. I was about to post this link too.

Denise presents probably the most reasoned discussion of fruit in our diets to date. It doesn't really settle anything on the health side but she touches on why she can't also.

I so much like sincere, reasoned, non-drama-laden, non-strawman-laden discussions of fruit in paleo diets, which Denise pulls off quite well.

Unlike this one where the author is completely full of drama, straw arguments, and distortions of how the paleo community reacts (in every posting): Paleo Diet Experiment: A Former Vegan Gives It A Try for 30 Days
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 05-31-2011 at 06:26 PM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    She's hot, what are we discussing here? that she's hot? because then I'm in agreement, that she's hot.

Btw, Denise. Hot.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I thought about this the other day when I saw some chimps chowing down on figs on some nature show.

The author has good points, but it's still a bit odd. We typically say that fruits at the supermarket are bred to be larger and sweeter. That is a fact. But, the author is saying no, big sweet fruits exist too. OK fine, but did Grok eat these? We don't know. Some of the examples are from South America, and primates are said to have evolved in Africa. Why use South American fruit to back up the argument? Makes no sense.

People have been going back and forth the same way over grains. All this is semi interesting, but not really the point.

I think the point of this is that we use our best judgement to understand how nature intended for us to thrive, and make our best choices. We know that people are equipped to live off fat, carbs, and protein, and these three process in different ways. Just because we CAN live off each, it does not follow that there is a set formula for mixing the three that works for everyone the same way.

As far as "I won't give up MY fruit," you don't need a blog to give you permission. If you have your fruit and you are happy with your weight and blood tests. Heck, go for it. If you are trying to do better, not giving up something can get in the way.

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    She's hot, what are we discussing here? that she's hot? because then I'm in agreement, that she's hot.

Btw, Denise. Hot.
    I noticed that too!

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    You guys can have Denise Minger. I just want a monkey orange (which is from Africa, not South America!).
    Last edited by Mirrorball; 05-31-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I want monkey sex with Denise, that's similar right?

peril is offline Senior Member
    There was no agriculture in the entire continent of Australia until 1788. There is not one indigenous fruit that is now widely available, despite fruits being a part of the diet of the aborigines. The indigenous fruits just aren't palatable enough for those raised on other fruits. Not a stretch to imagine that what we found in Australia is what we once had globally
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I thought about this the other day when I saw some chimps chowing down on figs on some nature show.

The author has good points, but it's still a bit odd. We typically say that fruits at the supermarket are bred to be larger and sweeter. That is a fact. But, the author is saying no, big sweet fruits exist too. OK fine, but did Grok eat these? We don't know. Some of the examples are from South America, and primates are said to have evolved in Africa. Why use South American fruit to back up the argument? Makes no sense.

People have been going back and forth the same way over grains. All this is semi interesting, but not really the point.

I think the point of this is that we use our best judgement to understand how nature intended for us to thrive, and make our best choices. We know that people are equipped to live off fat, carbs, and protein, and these three process in different ways. Just because we CAN live off each, it does not follow that there is a set formula for mixing the three that works for everyone the same way.

As far as "I won't give up MY fruit," you don't need a blog to give you permission. If you have your fruit and you are happy with your weight and blood tests. Heck, go for it. If you are trying to do better, not giving up something can get in the way.
    I never watch nature shows but I actually saw this one. Is it the one where they invade another tribe of chimps for the figs?

DFH
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    I never watch nature shows but I actually saw this one. Is it the one where they invade another tribe of chimps for the figs?
    I think it was. I wasn't really glued to it.

BTW, has anyone thought or written about pre-Paleo primates in terms of plant foods vs meat and traced this over time? We don't exactly have teeth and claws like big cats. Don't gorillas eat mostly plant foods? Is the theory that homo sapiens (and previous iterations) learned tools and hunting long ago enough that eating meat and fish are now part of who we are?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast