Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why organic food, Mark? page 6

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Then just don't watch it. lol

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

maba is offline Senior Member

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Tune in next week, everyone, when I&#39;ll be providing my take on this organic debate!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Can&#39;t wait, Mark :-)

Thanks for all you do!!!

Kaizen Guest

Haha, oh and I second the watching of Food, inc. I just watched it and it&#39;s not really biased either way, but they show how bad conventional growing can be. If you ask me, the way they conventionally grow crops and treat animals is quite terrible. I&#39;m all for grass fed beef, there&#39;s a big difference. You can&#39;t tell me that there is no difference, that&#39;s quite ridiculous. I shop at whole foods, although I know I can buy 50% of my food elsewhere cheaper. Just depends how smart you are about it. Personally I only want to eat grass fed beef if I can. It&#39;s much healthier, and I know the animals weren&#39;t sitting knee deep into their own crap being pumped with antibiotics. As far as produce goes, I&#39;ll try to eat locally grown or try to buy organic if it&#39;s cheaper.

mstrudle is offline Member

The ideal would be to buy everything single source, organic, free-trade, free range, all-natural, blah blah et cetera and so on and so forth. However, that quickly becomes quite expensive for the majority of people, so the second best yet still quite beneficial approach is to minimize the amount of pesticides and other chemical nasties ingested.

You should buy organic when it comes to the dirtiest crops, such as spinach or apples. You should also buy organic or grassfed meats, free-range poultry, and wild fish. Dairy should also be organic if you buy it; basically, any animal product is best when minimally processed.

You shouldn&#39;t buy organic when it comes to crops that are grown most cleanly, such as avocadoes, which have thick inedible skins that don&#39;t easily absorb pesticides.

I used to spend most of my money at Whole Foods, but now I buy the majority of groceries at Trader Joes. The products are high quality and of suitable origin. They even have grass-fed beef. I only buy vegetables at Whole Foods, less wasteful packaging than Traders, and sometimes even cheaper by pound.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

it&#39;s only expensive because many people haven&#39;t realised that a part of real sustainability means providing some of your own food and connecting with your local community of food producers.

in some ways, not embracing seasonality and regionality in one&#39;s diet make it harder to stay primally oriented, because you lose that access to rhythms that Grok had to just accept and live around.

this idea that only a handful of people are supposed to grow food is extremely recent (even nobles did some hunting and gardening of their own).

life gets a lot less expensive and stressful when you can be food-sufficient, remain close with your local community and thus not need a high salary. and less stress is definitely primal.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

It tastes better.

You can&#39;t convince me that tomatoes I find in a store that came from Mexico are "the same" as ones I plucked off the vine in my greenhouse. Once you&#39;ve tasted real food, you don&#39;t go back. I&#39;ve tasted and seen the difference for myself.

I think that has little to do with food that&#39;s certified organic as well. My food in my garden, my greenhouse, my farmers market, very little of it is certified. But I know what I put on it, and I know what my farmers put on it. The beef I get comes from a farm 45 minutes away. They&#39;re not certified organic, but they don&#39;t use hormones or antibiotics and welcome visitors. I think that is key to finding real food. Visit or do it yourself. If you don&#39;t like what you see, don&#39;t put it in your mouth.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Skeptic...

You trust the EPA!!??

Really?

Do a little reading on fluoride. Then take another look at trusting the EPA (and the FDA for that matter).

Once I realized what fluoride does to the body, I got a whole house filter to get rid of that stuff. Then I stopped trusting the EPA and the FDA.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456