Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preserved lemons? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Preserved lemons?

Primal Fuel
    Did anyone make some preserved lemons like Mark posted on a while ago? How have you been using them?

I'm impatient, so I waited the 2 week minimum instead of the 4 weeks he prefers. They are AMAZING. I've been eating them straight out of the jar so far, but I'm thinking slices would go great in a salad.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I just picked up some organic lemons today and plan to give it a try ... it's going to be hard waiting even 2 weeks for them !

Rapunzel is offline Member
    I make preserved lemons on a regular basis, I can go through a jar every two weeks if I don't control myself. I LOVE anything sour.

My recipe slightly differs from Mark's though, I add a stick of cinnamon, star anise, pepper corns, a couple bay leaves, 5-6 cardamom pods, and 2-3 clove buds per jar. It really gives it a more complex flavor which goes really well with my favorite Moroccan chicken recipe.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    It really gives it a more complex flavor which goes really well with my favorite Moroccan chicken recipe.
    ...which is?

jacky001 is offline Junior Member

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have had some limes in a jar for two weeks. Am being patient
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    ...which is?
    I need to jot it down, but I'll get it up soon! I very rarely use a recipe, but I'll put something together.

Just 'cause y'all rock.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I've always made them, they are amazing.

My favourite recipe is a moroccan tagine recipe with chicken thighs, black olives and preserved lemons in a tomato based sauce.

I've also stuffed rolled lamb shoulder with preserved lemon slices, garlic and basil leaves.

They're versatile and really tasty!

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    When life gives you lemons......preserve them and make Moroccan tagines!

Here's the moroccan chicken recipe I love:

(Note: I'm a Texan, so I LOVE my food spicy....cut back on the chili paste if you're not a fan of spicy and be warned that most chili pastes I've found get hotter the older they are, so always check yours before use)

1 onion, chopped
    1 sweet red pepper, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 lbs chicken thighs
    6-7 saffron threads
    2-3" cinnamon stick
    3-4 pods of cardamom
    1-2 whole star anise
    2 tablespoons garam masala (mixture of black peppercorns, cloves, malabar leaves, mace, black cumin, cumin seeds, cinnamon, green cardamom, nutmeg, star anise, and coriander seeds)
    1/2 preserved lemon, seeds and pulp removed, diced
    1-2 tablespoons chili paste
    14 1/2 oz canned tomatoes, diced (I prefer roasting a dozen roma tomatoes on the grill and using those + their juice)
    1 1/4 cups chicken stock

Coat a medium nonstick pot with fat of choice. Caramalize onions, then add garlic, red peppers. Saute until soft. Add garam masala, diced preserved lemons, and chili paste, saute until fragrant (otherwise the garam masala will have a powdery/raw taste).

Add chicken thighs skin down until skin is crisp, about 4 minutes.

Heat 1/4 cup of chicken broth to just below boiling and add saffron threads.

Add diced tomatoes and broth (and broth with saffron). Add cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and star anise pods. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. I usually will let this simmer about 30 minutes until the sauce reduces and the chicken is fall off the bone tender.

Serve hot with favorite veggies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast