Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to prepare a sweet potato? page

milkycereal is offline Banned

best way to prepare a sweet potato?

I've begun to question the sweet potatoes on my plate. I bake em in the microwave for four mintutes, they come out perfect...almost too perfect.

They're mushy and seem to disolve in my mouth. I also feel kinda tired after eating em. Looked up the GI of a baked sweet potatoe.....94!!!!!

boiled comes in at around 46. Is this how everyone's doin it? If so, I just chop em into cubes and boil em for how long?

Or is there a better method?

Or is there a better source of carbs?

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I bake 'em until well done then mash with butter & cream. Heavenly!

They're not an everyday item on my menu, maybe once or twice a month, so I don't stress over the carbs.

Red Wire is offline Senior Member
    My girlfriend likes to cut them into strips and crisp them in the oven. They taste great seasoned with ground hot pepper(cayenne or chipotle, which ever you prefer). Its as close as we can get to sweet potato fries without rendering a bunch of animal fat and frying them that way.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if they lose a lot of starch in the boiling, hence the lower GI number. I love them oven roasted like Red Wire's girlfriend makes them. Maybe boiling them first would be a good idea. Of course you'd then have to make sure they were really dry before putting them in the oven if you wanted them crispy. I hardly ever eat them so I don't really worry about it.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I cut them up, put in a large freezer bag and put some olive oil in there and then shake that up to coat them all. I put aluminum foil down on a pan, spread them out over it, put a little salt on them and bake for 30 minutes at 325 in the oven, turning once.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    I usually slice or dice them and fry them over low heat in coconut oil.

I might suggest you try out yams instead... try a japanese (mountain) yam, one of my favorites. Check in latin or asian markets. Yams tend to be more savory (add more butter!) and less on the GI. (What is the Difference Between a Sweetpotato and a Yam?)

Another good carb source are varies types of squash and my favorite way to prepare them is baked. I'll cut it in half and remove the seeds. Take a pyrex dish, fill with 1/4 in. of water, add some spices (my favs are cinnamon, sage, and bay leaf) and a little butter or oil to the water under the gourd. Cover with foil. Bake on high heat as long as you like. Sometimes I'll just take a spoon straight to the squash and use the gourd as a bowl, hehe.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Try baked Batata (white sweet potato), as they are not as moist as the orange varieties. They are dry, but very good! I like my with pasture butter and lots of cinnamon, topped with a fried egg or two. I have at least 10-12 ounce worth (which is, if I am not mistaken, about 50-60 grams of carbs, less because of the fiber) of them (or the orange varieties) about five times a week. Remember, adding fat/protein/cinnamon/vinegar does reduce the GI of foods.

I don't stress about the carbs because I am very active every day, have no weight issues, and I still keep my carb consumption below 150 grams per day. I also do a daily 16-18 hours fasting.

They are, however, primal friendly sources of carbs. I love yams (though they starchier). Try Korean Yams. They are less sweet, but have a nuttier favor (love them)
    Last edited by Zed; 05-31-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused about the Yam/Sweet Potato label.

The names are interchangable as they are from state to state. Which one is the yellow/white one and which one is the orange one?
    I know one has quite a bit more sugar than the other - I just wish I knew which one was which.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    My favorite is deep fried in coconut oil. Beyond yummy. Curry powder would work good on top of that, now that I think of it. Damn, I'm hungry! (been 8 hours no food though).
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Peeled, Cubed and sauteed with onion in Virgin Palm Oil and Butter. Then I add Cubed Fish Fillet, and season with Chipotle Chili Powder or Smoked Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes and salt.

This is how I cooked them last time (after a workout) and it was heavenly. When I go out to a steak house, I order the sweet potato with butter and cinnamon only and add salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast