Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black beans in a can. Good or not? page

ELDuran is offline Member

Black beans in a can. Good or not?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see the label and it says about 13g carbs per serving. 6g protein and 400mg sodium. Someone told me black beans were primal. Are they? Thanks!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I think black beans (when fermented - from what I've read) are a lesser among legumes. But, make sure there's only black beans left in the ingredient inventory. You'd go to a market, next thing you see is mayo made with soybean oil......

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know black beans not primal. I think they are the lowest carb bean.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Legumes aren't primal. Like issanjose said, they're not as bad for you if they are fermented or sprouted. Canned beans aren't. Plus most canned beans have BPA in them from the can lining, which is an endocrine disruptor. So if you're going to choose to eat them anyway, I'd advise you to get some dry beans and ferment or sprout them yourself.

According to this site, 100g of cooked black beans has 24g of carbs. 9g is fiber, so that would be 15g net carbs but Primal counts total carb, not net. Still, it's not a level of starch that would be hard to work into your diet even if you're trying to lose weight. It wouldn't be my personal choice for a carb source, though.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Eden Foods soaks its beans and cans them in non-BPA cans.

Beans are not ideal but "OK" per Mark. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Eden Foods soaks its beans and cans them in non-BPA cans.

Beans are not ideal but "OK" per Mark. More
    Soaking eliminates a little phytic acid but not much. Sprouting removes quite a bit more and fermenting is best. At least according to the folks over at the Weston A. Price Foundation.

cassel_man is offline Member
    Phytic acid is of minimal concern unless you're eating them constantly.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    Phytic acid is of minimal concern unless you're eating them constantly.
    I eat beans a couple times a week. Not going to worry about it. We walk a ridge between two slippery slopes - cheating and orthorexia.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

cassel_man is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    I eat beans a couple times a week. Not going to worry about it. We walk a ridge between two slippery slopes - cheating and orthorexia.
    Bingo. The dose makes the poison. A single serving of most foods isn't going to have drastic effects on health.

Fairychilde is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    Bingo. The dose makes the poison. A single serving of most foods isn't going to have drastic effects on health.
    +1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast