Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The strawberries are in!!!! page

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

The strawberries are in!!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    *happy dance* it's strawberry season!!!! I was able to go out and pick enough strawberries today to have a strawberry salad. Fresh strawberries from the garden with fresh lettuce from the garden! SO GOOD. They may be tiny little deformed strawberries but they are SO much better tasting than store bought strawberries and they are MY strawberries!!!!

As a side note, we have wild strawberries "invading" our garden (my dad let's them come in because they make our strawberries hardier because they cross pollinate) and they looked so cute and tiny and perfect that I had to pick some and try them. Uh. Bleck. They hardly taste like strawberries at all. They are spiky little woody things that have no hint of sweetness. It is really amazing to see how humans have hybridized fruit to the point of being nothing but sugar. It makes me laugh every time I hear a "fruititarian" talking about how fruits are natural, because I have to think "Have you ever actually eaten a wild fruit? Because I bet you'd change your tune...."

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yep. That's the kind of fruit Grok and Grokina ate.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    If you are fortunate enough to live in the PNW, Fred Meyer has organic strawberries right now, $2 a pound. They are PERFECTION. Quite possibly the best strawberries I've ever had. I'm going back to buy more to freeze.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I love those not quite ripe strawberries in salad; a real zing with balsamic dressing.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    My local supermarket finally bought in some organic strawberries ($3 per pound), but they are from CA. They are ripe and delicious though!. I am going to my local WF this week to see if they have any local organic strawberries.

Can't wait till apricots come to my nearby markets! Love them too!

Tis' the season for fruits! Grok on!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I also just bought my first quart of strawberries for the season. They are so delicious! I topped them with this amazing vanilla balsamic vinegar I bought recently and spent a few minutes in heaven eating them

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I also just bought my first quart of strawberries for the season. They are so delicious! I topped them with this amazing vanilla balsamic vinegar I bought recently and spent a few minutes in heaven eating them
    Vanilla balsamic?! Wow.
    Little Saiyan

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Vanilla balsamic?! Wow.
    It's heavenly! I bought it from this place: LeRoux Kitchen I think you could also make your own by reducing some good quality balsamic and letting it infuse with a vanilla bean.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    *happy dance* it's strawberry season!!!! I was able to go out and pick enough strawberries today to have a strawberry salad. Fresh strawberries from the garden with fresh lettuce from the garden! SO GOOD. They may be tiny little deformed strawberries but they are SO much better tasting than store bought strawberries and they are MY strawberries!!!!

As a side note, we have wild strawberries "invading" our garden (my dad let's them come in because they make our strawberries hardier because they cross pollinate) and they looked so cute and tiny and perfect that I had to pick some and try them. Uh. Bleck. They hardly taste like strawberries at all. They are spiky little woody things that have no hint of sweetness. It is really amazing to see how humans have hybridized fruit to the point of being nothing but sugar. It makes me laugh every time I hear a "fruititarian" talking about how fruits are natural, because I have to think "Have you ever actually eaten a wild fruit? Because I bet you'd change your tune...."
    I've often eat wild strawberries here in the UK, and I've had them in the French alps - in both cases they were tiny, bright red - and SO much sweeter than commercial varieties. So I think you are perhaps unlucky with your wild strawberries?

So far, every wild fruit I've eaten with the exception of sloes and crab apples - this includes bilberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries, have been delicious little parcels of sweetness. I've also had wild figs in Greece and they were very sweet too.

So I reckon Grok had probably got a sweet tooth.....

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    We've picked a few strawberries from our garden over the last couple of day and they've been gorgeous!
    It's great a little later i nthe year, if I skip breakfast but feel peckish just as I'm about to leave, I pick myself a nice wild breakfast of blackberries and elderberries that are in the alley I have to go down.. yummy!
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast