Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron & Constipation page

geostump is offline Senior Member

Iron & Constipation

Shop Now
    I've been supplementing iron for about a week and have noticed that I have been constipated a lot lately. Have any of you noticed this and found anything to help?
    Georgette

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I get my iron from cast iron cookware and sometimes from Floradix, neither of which cause any blockages.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I get my iron from cast iron cookware and sometimes from Floradix, neither of which cause any blockages.
    I wish I used cast iron cookware but I have horrible luck seasoning them and keeping them clean so I don't even use them. Never heard of floradix.
    Georgette

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quite some time ago, I was on very high doses of iron to try to correct a severe anemia problem. I got constipated, my stomach hurt, it was pretty much awful. I did slightly better when I switched to Slow-Fe, a slow release form, but it really did a number on my digestive tract. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    Quite some time ago, I was on very high doses of iron to try to correct a severe anemia problem. I got constipated, my stomach hurt, it was pretty much awful. I did slightly better when I switched to Slow-Fe, a slow release form, but it really did a number on my digestive tract. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease
    Other than switching, was there anything else that you could do to help out with the constipation?
    Georgette

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Are you iron deficient? You had a blood test?

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Other than switching, was there anything else that you could do to help out with the constipation?
    I seem to recall drinking alot of orange juice, eating alot of liver and brussel sprouts (I love brussel sprouts), and just suffering through it The only suggestions I have is a water increase, or a fat increase - one will make you float and you'll still be constipated, and I'm guessing your fat intake is already good.

I already drink a gallon of water a day, I don't touch fruit at all let alone juices, I do eat a lot of cruciferous/green leafy veggies and I am iron deficient. I went to give blood today and they won't let me give me blood because my iron is way low. Always has been. I bought iron a few weeks ago suspecting this to be so.
    Georgette

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Try Natural Calm Magnesium supplement. It is a powder that gets oxidized in hot water so it absorbs better. It should help you get things moving and keep them that way. My Mom was put on colace to counteract her iron pills, so sometimes she was constipated and sometimes she was the opposite, but there was no happy medium. I put her on Natural Calm and everything is regulating nicely. ; )
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I know that calcium interferes with iron absorption, so I wonder if magnesium might too? Probably best to take them at opposite ends of the day, just in case.

And on the subject of seasoning cast iron: the trick for me has been to not really wash the pan, other than a rinse in water, and maybe a gentle once-over with a scrubbing pad every now and then. And never ever allowing egg anywhere near it
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast