Thread: The next phase page

dixonge is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

We've been doing some variation of Atkins off and on for several years. Weight went down, then floated back up, then down, then up. Being consistent has (obviously) been an issue.

If you don't count binges or cheat days, we've probably averaged 20-30 net carbs per day for a long time. So in one sense PB seems like 'yet another diet plan' and yet it also feels like it may be the missing piece. I'm still reading the book, but I like what I've read so far, as well as what I've read here on the site.

Plus Mark reads Pharyngula. )

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome!

Maybe PB differs from Atkins in that you enjoy such yummy food that you don't need to cheat...?

Well, I say that, it's where I'm aiming for - when I do mess up, it's never as nice as I anticipated, and I would have preferred just having the blooming steak!

dixonge is offline Junior Member

I should have also added that we did the zero-carb thing for awhile. Once my wife dared ask a question on the forum and the thread was immediately shut down. Evidently the possibility that homo sapien teeth were omnivorous was verboten.

That's why I truly appreciate Mark's lack of dogmatism, the 80% thing. It's a lifestyle, not a religion. I can handle that.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Definitely, definitely a lifestyle. It's up to each of us how we interpret it for our own needs. There are some of us that are really strict, others of us that are less so. This weekend I'm going to eat one piece of food that isn't primal and unlike other eating plans, I'm not going to feel like I've wasted all of my efforts and 'ruined' my 'diet'. This is for the rest of my life, not until I've reached a weight loss or other goal.

Welcome, and most of all, enjoy!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Also holistic. You cannot rely just on diet, or just on exercise. They are intwined, along with sleep and play. All of these things are important for health.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

[quote]

Plus Mark reads Pharyngula. )
    </blockquote>

May of us here follow him too

I see the dietary component of the PB as a more nutritive and non-oxidized-LDL-promoting version of the Atkins diet.

But like Katt, I agree on the PB being a lifestyle. It&#39;s like a paradigm shift that allows you to tweak everything in a quest to reach maximum health and well-being, not just weight loss.

I sometimes think that once you start to freely self-indulge in "forbidden" foods like very fatty cuts of red meat, something starts to happen. In my case, it kind of feels like getting in contact with my animal nature and embracing it, which seems to provide some strange shift of consciousness.

But then it could also be the increase in testosterone.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull