Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when you eat to much prote´ne. page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

What happens when you eat to much prote´ne.

Primal Fuel
    In the PB Mark state's that you should eat around 0.7 to 1.0 times your lean bodyweight in pounds as grams in prote´ne. He also states that doing more from time to time or for a short period of time won't be bad for you. But what happens when you do this for a longer period of time?

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I get constipated. I also heard it was bad on your kidneys or liver or something.
    Health is Wealth!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    In the PB Mark state's that you should eat around 0.7 to 1.0 times your lean bodyweight in pounds as grams in prote´ne. He also states that doing more from time to time or for a short period of time won't be bad for you. But what happens when you do this for a longer period of time?
    Excess protein is converted into glucose.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I think gluconeogenesis is something touched up on other sections of this site; and may have come across it in Taubes's Why We Get Fat.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Awesome, thnx! So basically, if I'm trying to lose weight, eating to much protein will cause this to go slower/not happen?

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    this is one of those things that gets really confusing/overwhelming to most people (myself included). I was a vegetarian and was told I supposedly wasn't getting enough protein-which could lead to health problems and weight gain. Now you read this and it's saying too much protein could do the same.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The kidney thing isn't true either. In healthy adults excess protein does not cause kidney problems. I might however exacerbate renal failure if kidney problems already exist.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    Awesome, thnx! So basically, if I'm trying to lose weight, eating to much protein will cause this to go slower/not happen?
    No it won't in general. I bet Beachbody P90X participants can vouch for that. Look at the fat shredder phase. It's essentially high protein.. 50% of calories. For me that meant 300g + per day . 180g carbs and 53g fat. That's 3 times more protein than where I normally keep it. Going to depend on you as an individual. Too much protein can be an issue for people with kidney or liver disease. Basically, it's going to boil down to what your own body is going to do. If you suspect something, then change it and see what happens.

Oh crap, thought I (by accident) found the reason for my plateau there for a second.
    I feel perfectly healthy at the moment. I was just wondering because I'm eating 200+ grams of protein (I'm 6" and 196lb, prob have about 20lb to lose before I see abs) for a while now (today was 275 even) and had no clue if it was bad for me and in what way. I'm one of the most healthy people I know, last time I was sick was august 2007, even before going primal. I have plenty of energy, can do 50+ pushups, 10+ pullups, run 30min with no problem, even though I hardly do any of those on a regular basis :P. I'm just overweight a bit (and was overweight quite a bit more).

Risto is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by simpstr View Post
    I also heard it was bad on your kidneys or liver or something.
    If you're healthy, it won't hurt you. Here's an article about it on Nytimes.com: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/he...r=1&ref=health

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast