Thread: HT make Prime rib - I'm talking a rib with a hunk o' meat on it page

kitana is offline Senior Member

HT make Prime rib - I'm talking a rib with a hunk o' meat on it

Primal Fuel
    So I spent last week in Kansas City and enjoyed a visit to one of the city's many fine BBQ resaurants. I got a sample with Prime Rib, Burnt Ends and baby back ribs. My favorite by far was the prime rib - OMG-melt-in-your-mouth-F'ing-awesome!!! It had a lucious crust from roasting and was amazingly succulent inside. However it did not look like I am used to prime rib looking. There was a large rib, with a chunk of meat clinging to it. Srsly it looked like a dinosaur drumstick from the flintstones.

How do I make this myself?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If you have an oven that can maintain a low temperature (low 200s), this method can't be beat (unless you have a sous vide machine). Also works for ovens that don't get so low, you won't have a uniform medium-rare edge-to-edge but it'll still be seriously succulent.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Nice! That was an excellent article! Definitely a guy after my own data-driven heart. I wouldn't have thought to do it that way, but it makes total sense after he explains his reasoning. That would definitely be the way to do it since what I ate would not brown well in a pan, and a good crust is absolutely necessary in my mind. Fortunately my apt came with a fancy, schmancy brand new oven that has more degrees that I do. I think a trip to my favorite butcher shop is in order.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks a lot like the same advice Alton Brown gives. That's the way we cook our roasts and they're always great. Pre-primal, I used to always make Yorkshire pudding with it, and the high temperature at the end made it easy to get the roast and the puddings on the table together nice a fresh.

Another thing we picked up from him is dry aging the roast for a few days before cooking. We have a couple nesting bins with a lid. We cut holes for drainage in one of them. We put the roast in that, then set it in the solid one to catch any moisture. Some folks just put it on paper towels on a plate and change the towels out every day. It really makes the roast tender. This can be done with other large cuts as long as they have a good fat layer on the outside. otherwise you're more at risk of spoilage.