Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: in defense of chicken page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

in defense of chicken

the poor little chicken seems to get bashed around here as dull, dry, and tasteless, but honestly i rather like chicken (and especially chicken breast). it's quite versatile and can be paired with almost any flavor. chicken breast is easy to make ahead and keep in the fridge as a "cold cut" for picnics, shopping trips, and whatever else i need it for.

my favorite way to cook chicken breast is to marinade it for a minimum of 4 hours, then sear on the grill and finish it in the oven. it comes out juicy and delicious!

Photo0153 by SaoirseCaesar2011, on Flickr

this was dinner a few nights ago (with a few T of sour cream on top). i dressed up the leftovers this morning with an avocado, salsa, and a little sriracha sauce. Mmmm! does anyone else here really ENJOY chicken breast? what's your favorite way to eat or prepare it? does anyone have marinade recipes to share?

geostump is offline Senior Member
    My favorite chicken marinade is the cilantro lime marinade from Split Roast Chicken | Health-Bent It works great for any cut and is awesome when grilled. I used this marinade Sunday to make some grilled chicken wings and can you say AWESOME!
    Georgette

BayouPrimal is offline Member
    A whole roasted chicken is one of my very favorite foods. Preferably stuffed with lemon slices, rosemary, and onion.
    My wife and I have our own humble food blog. Not 100% primal, but we try to keep it interesting.
    www.fatandflour.com

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i put 1/4 cup of coconut butter and a tsp of cayenne pepper in a pan and low heat until the butter melts and i can make it thicken. then i pour it into a bowl with fresh cut chicken tenders and take my hands and massage the butter all over the chicken and then i grill it. its sweet and spicy! i use fresh ground cayenne 90,000 heat units

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I have some chicken breast marinating in my made-up version of tikka masala in the fridge that I'm going to cook up when I get home. I agree that chicken breast can sometimes get some undeserved hate. Yeah it's pretty bland if it's not seasoned properly, but so are most other foods. And the fact that it's low-fat can easily be fixed with butter or coconut milk, hehe. I don't eat near as much chicken as I used to because I'm afraid of the PUFA monster, but I will not feel guilty on the occasions when I do indulge.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I agree that chicken is not necessarily the culinary disaster a lot of people make it due to poor technique (and the slightly related fact that the breast should be cooked to a lower temperature than the thigh, which makes a perfect roast chicken tricky without butterflying it). I do find though that most of the flavor is in the skin and fat; I suppose that's what makes chicken breast so versatile, but I'd rather not have to sauce my food to make it taste good. I actually prefer making soup out of my chicken instead of roasting it -- simmering them bones for 3.5-4 hours makes a wicked delicious base.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I used to like marinading chicken thighs in yogurt sriracha and spices for about 36-48 hours, and then drained, and either baked or grilled.

But now my favorite part of roasting a whole chicken wrapped in bacon in an iron skillet is the cloves of garlic that get carmelized on the bottom of the pan.

The bird just don't agree with my innards no more.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    But now my favorite part of roasting a whole chicken wrapped in bacon in an iron skillet is the cloves of garlic that get carmelized on the bottom of the pan.

The bird just don't agree with my innards no more.

Any other seasonings that you use? Do you happen to put any garlic inside the bird?

That sucks that the bird doesn't agree with you anymore. The bacon wrapped with garlic sounds incredibly delicious.
    Georgette

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Any other seasonings that you use? Do you happen to put any garlic inside the bird?

That sucks that the bird doesn't agree with you anymore. The bacon wrapped with garlic sounds incredibly delicious.
    When I roast chicken I put half an onion, and half a lemon inside, I may or may not sprinkle the skin with spices like cumin, or paprika, or curry powder. The cloves of garlic go in the cast iron skillet AROUND the chicken, and the chicken grease absorbs the garlic flavor, and transfers it to the chicken as it roasts. The chicken goes into the skillet breast side down. Anywhere from 5 to 15 cloves should do it, and the ones that get blackened and crispy are the best. I will sprinkle lemon juice on the skin when it comes out.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you guys have some great flavor combinations! darth, my husband can't eat chicken either. it might be partly because he was raised on dry breast overcooked on a teflon pan in canola oil (gag); he gets some sort of digestive upset.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast