Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut water...good for you or useless carbs? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Coconut water...good for you or useless carbs?

Primal Fuel
    I keep hearing how coconut water is good for you, yet when I looked at the label it usually has 15g of carbs or more even if it is just pure coconut water. Is it like fruit? In moderation only? Or do the healthy aspects outweigh the carbs?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    I reserve it for during or after a prolonged training session or playing a sport for a significant length of time. Think of it, and use it as, a sports drink.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    it's not just sugar water, there are some nutrients in there. but yes, it's like a lower carb fruit juice so drink it wisely.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    It is the liquid inside a raw coconut, and while the carb content is high, is is nutritious, though some people get a laxative reaction. My granddaughters love it, and carry in their lunch boxes, instead of water, a couple days a week.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    coconut water is HELLA good for you! i repeat HELLA good for you! Coconut water can certainly be part of a healthy diet, and if you like the taste, then drink up, high potassium and low sodium helps promote weight loss

found this online ;

boost your immune system
    fight viruses
    boost poor circulation
    aids digestion by removing toxins
    boost thyroid health
    keep body at proper temperature
    carry nutrients and oxygen to cells
    help break up kidney stones

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I love coconut water, and juice. Like some of you've mentioned, it's really good as a hydration tool. I recently used a package of one for a cross fit workout, and was readily hydrated in a matter of minutes.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    C2O is my favorite. I hardly ever drink it. Drank a can of it after a week of hot yoga, though, to re-hydrate.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    LOVE IT, but also have doubts about being good for you regularly. I like those who suggested after/during high intensity workouts. I will try this.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    C2O rocks, and so does AMY+Brian

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm bringing this thread back because it's getting HOT and I have found (the hard way) that hydrating with plain water isn't always enough.

Coconut water tastes amazing and is really great for replacing electrolytes. I usually have one 11oz container in my cooler at work, and I found it helps tremendously. On a typical day, I walk between 10 and 15 miles. At least one of my routes is 20 miles, and I live in the desert, so it's going to be around 110F for the next 2 or 3 months. I hydrate with lots of plain water as welll, but coconut water is definitely a lifesaver.

I can't say I'd drink it like regular water. It isn't something you can drink by the gallon, but I do think it's important in replacing electrolytes when you've been sweating a lot.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast