Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Sport? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Ultimate Sport?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What do you consider to be the best sport? I think we have discussed favorites, but this time it's different. I want to hear people's criteria for what makes their sport the best.

For me, I like a sport that is challenging in the most ways possible. I want to be able to say that the star from this sport could absolutely kick ass. First of all, fighting sports are out. That's not a sport to me. Individual sports are out too. Other than events like the decathlon, they are just too one dimensional. Football is a game of athletes. I absolutely love football, but until the very, very highest levels (and even still then), the best athlete wins. I love baseball, but when the best player on your team can hit 40 HRs and be 2 hot dogs from a heart attack, I realize it's not a test of athleticism. Basketball is fun as well. It's the game I grew up playing in the streets, but it is even more athleticism-based than football. I used to think hockey was the ultimate sport. Unfortunately, I never played much growing up in an area without snow (then again, maybe fortunately...). I just realized today the awesomeness of lacrosse. My high school was just getting a team when I was a senior, but I never had a chance because it was JV to start out. I did a little research, and sure enough, it was created by natives of North America possibly as much as 1500 years ago. Games were held with 100s to 1000s of people and they played for days on end to celebrate their creator. I'm captivated by this sport.

Thoughts?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Fighting sports are out because "That's not a sport to me."? You lost me there I'm afraid. So, after countless centuries of man using combat to prove who the strongest competitor is you're discounting fighting sports.

Have you ever even tried a combat sport?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    lol lacrosse gets praise and combat sports are out? To each their own I guess...

I'm confused as to the point of this thread, to figure out WHICH sport overall is best? too hard and will ultimately come down to preference, also the members arguing would have to have participated in that sport and the chances of somebody being active in many different fields is unlikely so they'll just make a case for the sports they have played. In my case, I played soccer, tennis, muay thai and jiu jitsu so I could make a case for those. I've never played American Football or Basketball (besides a pick up game or two) but I love watching both but I can't accurately make a case for why either of them should be above any of the ones I have actually played.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Football is a game of athletes. I absolutely love football, but until the very, very highest levels (and even still then), the best athlete wins. ... Basketball is fun as well. It's the game I grew up playing in the streets, but it is even more athleticism-based than football. I used to think hockey was the ultimate sport. Unfortunately, I never played much growing up in an area without snow (then again, maybe fortunately...). I just realized today the awesomeness of lacrosse. My high school was just getting a team when I was a senior, but I never had a chance because it was JV to start out. I did a little research, and sure enough, it was created by natives of North America possibly as much as 1500 years ago. Games were held with 100s to 1000s of people and they played for days on end to celebrate their creator. I'm captivated by this sport.

Thoughts?
    I think you're off your rocker. If football is a game of athletes, and basketball too, then lacrosse sure as hell is. Don't kid yourself. And if combat-based events aren't sporting events... well, I want to hear your rationale on that one because "that's not a sport to me" is a complete lack of logical thinking.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    Not sure how what this guy does isn't considered sport. He's probably one of the top athletes in the world, a thing of beauty.

YouTube - ‪GSP training highlights‬‏
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Gotta go with mudball. While it is te chnically soccer, it only loosely qualifies. Full contact soccer, played on a dirt field in the middle of a storm. The ball picks up enough mud to weigh 5 lb, cleats pick up enough mud to weigh 7 lb apiece. Ref looks the other way as long as hands don't touch the ball and nobody's injured. It becomes a cross between soccer,mud wrestling, and rugby.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    There don't seem to be any criterion here anyone could get a handle on - the best sport is, what? The one I enjoy the most? You discount fighting sports (probably the oldest of human competitions) and all the major American sports because they require athleticism (meaning being fit?) except baseball, which you dismiss because it doesn't require being fit?
    I hate to watch baseball (boring), soccer (boring!!) bowling, and lots of other sports. Some of them are fun to play but boring to watch (soccer). At the highest level, basketball (Finals starts TONIGHT) is a thing of beauty to watch. American football is also great but only if you have a tivo. Rugby is great to play but I can't get into watching it. My fave to play is racquetball, by far, but even I find it boring to watch.
    Things that are not sports: Bodybuilding (celebration of orthorexia and steroids), anything that is traditionally played in a bar, or that you can play at a high level while drinking (billiards, darts), anything that requires makeup (synchronized swimming!). Also, sorry, but anything where you basically just crouch down and hope for the best (bobsled). Curling is also not a sport becase F Canada >.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    soccer (boring!!)
    Soccer has a ton of subtleties. I’m never bored watching a soccer game.

Oh, and we’re not friends anymore.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    combat sports are most definitely sports. that being said, i would say lacrosse is the ultimate TEAM sport. combines the best of all out efforts, with amazing cardiovascular training, agility, hand-eye coordination, and a high level of pain tolerance.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Soccer has a ton of subtleties. I’m never bored watching a soccer game.

Oh, and we’re not friends anymore.
    Why, because I dissed synchonized swimming and darts? Sorry bro.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast