Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Sport? page 7

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    No dammit, the answer is Queer Ball, lmmfao!!!!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I've played queerball a couple of times for BJJ warm-ups, but it wasn't called that. Seems like grown men about to wrestle each other for two hours don't feel that comfortable calling each other ''queer''. It was a lot of fun though.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Climbing. Best sport/activity/whatever ever. It beats all--deal with it, you guys
    I've recently started doing a little climbing....and wow, it really challenges me in ways I have not been challenged before. I am definitely more impressed with rock climbers having begun to learn the craft.

A rock wall at your state fair does NOT count! The actual rock climbing gyms & the real thing are waaay more intense.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Forgive me if I don't take the opinion of someone who clearly has no concept of what a sport is. I coach MMA athletes and I can assure you that the skill, strength, power, speed, agility, technique and tactics required to compete at a high level certainly classify it as a sport.

Your comments regarding fighting are just plain ignorant.
    I'm not claiming those who compete in MMA aren't great athletes. There are very valuable reasons to learn the craft, and it produces very coordinated and fit athletes. I'm speaking from the perspective of a lifelong sports fan and participator in sports. I've played practically everything. From this perspective along with my intelligence, I can see the beauty or lack of beauty in a sport. Maybe you've been taking too many punches from your students?
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-04-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I'm not claiming those who compete in MMA aren't great athletes. There are very valuable reasons to learn the craft, and it produces very coordinated and fit athletes. I'm speaking from the perspective of a lifelong sports fan and participator in sports. I've played practically everything. From this perspective along with my intelligence, I can see the beauty or lack of beauty in a sport. Maybe you've been taking too many punches from your students?
    Played everything and mastered nothing i would imagine. So please, enlighten us, what is your definition of a sport?

Oh, and I'm a strength and conditioning coach so don't regularly receive punches to the head from my athletes.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Played everything and mastered nothing i would imagine. So please, enlighten us, what is your definition of a sport?
    sport   
    [spawrt, spohrt]
    –noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

There's the dictionary definition for you, Coach. I don't need to repeat myself anymore...

Oh, and I'm a strength and conditioning coach so don't regularly receive punches to the head from my athletes.
    I'm sure you're a great one then!
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-05-2011 at 01:01 AM.

So, you define a sport as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and accept that those who compete in MMA can be great athletes and that it produces very fit and co-ordinated athletes.

But in your original post you state "First of all, fighting sports are out. That's not a sport to me".

So I'm still confused as to why you don't classify MMA as a sport.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    By your criteria, wouldn't the ultimate sport be distance cycling - like the Tour de France? 22 days of riding 100 miles or more, over big mountains, through major cities, through miles of countryside... Major team aspect - the team supports the top rider by providing him with a draft so he doesn't tire as easily. Requires stamina, strategy, and the winner can often come down to mere microseconds.

The comment that fighting sports don't classify is interesting - didn't most sports evolve from games involving training for fighting or hunting?
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Chuck Norris is the greatest sport.
    Hmmm, sport hunting Chuck Norris.

Now there's a kick I haven't tried.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast