Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Sport? page 6

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Forgive me if I don't take the opinion of someone who clearly has no concept of what a sport is. I coach MMA athletes and I can assure you that the skill, strength, power, speed, agility, technique and tactics required to compete at a high level certainly classify it as a sport.

Your comments regarding fighting are just plain ignorant.
    right, coach. I'd say, there's a difference between real-life fighting; and what's seen in the sport of MMA. In MMA, there are rules, and guidelines fighters have to adhere to, effectively. Acclimation to these rules requires a good skill level in the sport. Fighting, on the other hand, has no rules; and what's being fought for (your life in this case) is different; there is very little fine skill involved (it's there, but not as prevalent because of conditions therein).

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I usually adhere to the rules of honour in real fights anyway. No nut punching, biting, scratching or eye gouging. I usually win.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    You're all misinformed. Queerball is the ultimate. This game was developed and perfected on the play ground of the 5th and 6th grade wing of Palmetto Middle School, Williamston, SC circa 1975. A single volleyball was used and there were no teams. There were also no goals or no out of bounds. The only rules were the ball had to be kicked and anyone who got hit above the knee with the ball was a queer, plain and simple and had to go stand in the queer Line next to the teachers bench. It was a full contact blood sport; if you were in possession of the ball you tried to kick it into someone as hard as you damn could and knock their ass out so you could call 'em a queer and make 'em go stand in the queer line and if you din't have possession of the ball, but the ball was near you then you tried like hell to knock the living shit out of someone near you so they would be easy prey for the one with possession and subsequently you yourself would be safe.

Queerball was damned brutal, hell Primal if you will, and the greatest game ever devised, period.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I take it you lost that game alot, Dalton.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Never

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Climbing. Best sport/activity/whatever ever. It beats all--deal with it, you guys

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Climbing. Best sport/activity/whatever ever. It beats all--deal with it, you guys
    I most definitely concur.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    I most definitely concur.
    I knew there was a reason you were my bro on here haha

Will Turner is offline Junior Member
    I know the OP doesn't like individual or combat sports for some reason, but having done it through high school I'd like to throw out good old wrestling.
    I can't really tell you why it's necessarily better than any other combat sport except that, with it's exclusion of strikes and potentially dangerous holds, it (probably) has a lower injury rate.
    Of course, the really awful, non-Primal part is the whole cutting weight thing, which was why I ultimately dropped the sport (I was 165 dropping to 152 on a weekly basis and had it easy relative to other people on my team. And once I quit I gained 20 pounds of height/muscle within a few months haha).

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    right, coach. I'd say, there's a difference between real-life fighting; and what's seen in the sport of MMA. In MMA, there are rules, and guidelines fighters have to adhere to, effectively. Acclimation to these rules requires a good skill level in the sport. Fighting, on the other hand, has no rules; and what's being fought for (your life in this case) is different; there is very little fine skill involved (it's there, but not as prevalent because of conditions therein).
    Seriously? Do you really expect to hold your own against an experienced mma fighter in a street fight because there are no rules? If anything, the mma fighter has an even bigger advantage than in a ring against you because he can happily kick you in the ribs and in the spine when you'll be curled in a ball on the ground pissing yourself. If you had said a boxer or a tae kwon do guy, I might have agreed with you a little (even then...), because they're less used to someone closing the distance, but mma fighters are skilled all around.

Focus: I've done my fair share of sports, and I don't think the ultimate sport can be a sport without physical contact. It takes the game to a whole other level. Sure, when you play soccer, the other guy might come ''aggressively'' at you, and you might get a few kicks in the shins, but when you're playing rugby and you're the only thing left standing between the scoring zone and a 220lbs ripped guy running at full speed, you find out what ''mental toughness'' is. I'd say it's pretty even between rugby, mma (or most competitive full-contact martial arts), ice hockey and lacrosse.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast