Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88

Thread: Ultimate Sport? page 3

  1. #21
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Well, in Judo we talk about Randori being play time. You're supposed to have fun. Boxing can be fun as long as the pace is kept at a good medium. Bruce Lee would be quoted, saying sparring was a fun game, played seriously.
    Yes, I have fun sparring. I still say it's not the ultimate sport because it's sort of the common denominator. Fighting is....fighting. You don't get any simpler. If you beat somebody up, congrats. What celebration is deserved? If you really like fighting so much, maybe you should go out on the streets and 'play around'.

    Again, I am not talking about spectator sports at all. I think NFL, NBA, MLB can all approach reality TV at times. Sure they are great athletes. But sports are about competition and playing....not sitting on your ass eating a hot dog.

    Anyways, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-31-2011 at 12:53 PM.

  2. #22
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karate Lisa View Post
    Not sure how what this guy does isn't considered sport. He's probably one of the top athletes in the world, a thing of beauty.

    YouTube - ‪GSP training highlights‬‏
    Yes, he does play a sport. He's a great athlete.

  3. #23
    Jen AlcesAlces's Avatar
    Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Wyoming
    Posts
    526
    Seriously depends on what you mean by "best"... requiring most skill, strength, speed? You disregard a lot of sports as too easy. So, the only "sport" I can think of that combines strength, skill, speed, coordination, and mental toughness would be SASUKE/NINJA WARRIOR.

  4. #24
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    haha please tell me you're not serious about that basketball comment. Shooting a ball through a hoop just barely bigger than the ball itself, in traffic, with another team actively trying to stop your shot from happening is indeed hard.

    Honestly, any argument made for a good sport can be countered by saying that sport is bullshit, case in point: I think LaCrosse, field hockey, ice hockey, and any other sport that closely resembles soccer is shit. I don't care the level of activity or athleticism involved. Surely this is a biased and rather close minded opinion (I’m sure those sports are fun and all) but so is yours.

    To quote Vondas from The Wire upon watching a casual field hokey game “… why can’t they just kick it with their feet?..”

  5. #25
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Seriously depends on what you mean by "best"... requiring most skill, strength, speed? You disregard a lot of sports as too easy. So, the only "sport" I can think of that combines strength, skill, speed, coordination, and mental toughness would be SASUKE/NINJA WARRIOR.
    My whole point was to see what you thought of as the best sport in your mind.

    I wasn't saying that they were easy. I was saying that they were too one-dimensional.

  6. #26
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    haha please tell me you're not serious about that basketball comment. Shooting a ball through a hoop just barely bigger than the ball itself, in traffic, with another team actively trying to stop your shot from happening is indeed hard.

    Honestly, any argument made for a good sport can be countered by saying that sport is bullshit, case in point: I think LaCrosse, field hockey, ice hockey, and any other sport that closely resembles soccer is shit. I don't care the level of activity or athleticism involved. Surely this is a biased and rather close minded opinion (I’m sure those sports are fun and all) but so is yours.

    To quote Vondas from The Wire upon watching a casual field hokey game “… why can’t they just kick it with their feet?..”
    Would those same competitive elements you mentioned about basketball not be relevent in hockey or in lacrosse? Can you hit someone in basketball? I fail to see your argument here.

  7. #27
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Chuck Norris is the greatest sport.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  8. #28
    max219's Avatar
    max219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    444
    All types of racing! (running, swimming, biking)

  9. #29
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Would those same competitive elements you mentioned about basketball not be relevent in hockey or in lacrosse? Can you hit someone in basketball? I fail to see your argument here.
    The problem is that you dismissed fighting sports first because you don’t like them, second because they’re not “realistic” as you can’t just start a fight because you can fight (in your world then, you can’t just start a pick up game because you can play the game? You need to be told when to do so?)

    Now you’re saying that because you can get hit in lacrosse that somehow makes it superior to basketball.

    All sports (ALL SPORTS) have varying degrees of difficulty, not all of them having to do with actual physical contact.

    I never was big into tennis until I tried it and realized that it is MUCH more difficult than it seems. Now I can watch a match and be very into it and acknowledge when a player has done something that requires superior skill. I’ve never played golf in my life, but I don’t suppose getting a tiny ball into a far away hole in less than 4 tries is easy at all, yet you could still be far from an “athlete” physically and still compete at a high level…

    I don’t think its possible to arrive at a conclusion for what the best game or sport is, even if you were to remove the “like” factor. Is it degree of difficulty, skill, athleticism, etc? there are many sports that require one but not the other.

  10. #30
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    The problem is that you dismissed fighting sports first because you don’t like them, second because they’re not “realistic” as you can’t just start a fight because you can fight (in your world then, you can’t just start a pick up game because you can play the game? You need to be told when to do so?)

    Now you’re saying that because you can get hit in lacrosse that somehow makes it superior to basketball.

    All sports (ALL SPORTS) have varying degrees of difficulty, not all of them having to do with actual physical contact.

    I never was big into tennis until I tried it and realized that it is MUCH more difficult than it seems. Now I can watch a match and be very into it and acknowledge when a player has done something that requires superior skill. I’ve never played golf in my life, but I don’t suppose getting a tiny ball into a far away hole in less than 4 tries is easy at all, yet you could still be far from an “athlete” physically and still compete at a high level…

    I don’t think its possible to arrive at a conclusion for what the best game or sport is, even if you were to remove the “like” factor. Is it degree of difficulty, skill, athleticism, etc? there are many sports that require one but not the other.
    I respected golfers the moment I went to the driving range. It's not easy stuff, that's for sure.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •