Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ended my low-carb flu with a carb refeed page

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member

I ended my low-carb flu with a carb refeed

Primal Fuel
    After feeling crappy for a couple of weeks, I read Mark's post about carb refeeds and stuffed myself with carbs. This ended my spiraling-down funk within 30 minutes and brought me back to normal functioning. Given this n=1 experiment, I would encourage anyone else in a similar low-energy condition after a few weeks to try it. I'm going to do another one tomorrow and then go back on low carb and see how it goes.

Funny that this is supposed to help with weight loss. My only goal was to feel better. But if it restarts fat burning, great.

One point maybe someone could clarify: why does Mark not recommend the refeed for people who are obese? For them, he says it is probably better to stick with the program and try the refeed when they are down to lean condition. I do not understand the reasoning there.

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    Can you link the article in which Mark talks about this?

norak is offline Senior Member

5waltersm is offline Junior Member
    thanks

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    At his recent talk in New York, Mark kind of poo-pooed the carb refeed, carb cycling, meal timing stuff. He didn't say it was useless, but he was kind of dismissive.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yes while he was definitely a bit dismissive his article kind of states otherwise. From the article posted above:

The purpose, as I see it, of carb refeeds is the restoration of leptin levels in the dieter. As we know, caloric restriction reduces leptin levels. With lower leptin comes increased hunger and reduced adherence to a diet. Cravings arise. Energy wanes, immunity suffers. The lack of leptin elicits the cascade of hormones that down regulate metabolism and energy expenditure. Your muscles use less energy and become more efficient – but weaker and less effective. Menstruation and fertility become issues. Dropping calories even more just makes the problem worse. You need to restore leptin, at least for a bit, to right the path. A carb refeed can help you achieve this.
    Who needs to reefed? No one “needs” a carb reefed, especially if he or she is feeling good, looking good, and continuing to lose weight with plenty of energy. I never consciously stuff myself with carbs, and I’m doing okay. Remember, too, that a low-carb eating plan doesn’t equal a low calorie eating plan. If your weight loss has stalled, however, and hunger is a constant issue, no matter the depths of your caloric restriction, it may be wise to consider a periodic carbohydrate refeed. If you lack energy throughout the day and your immune system is suffering, you might need to restore your leptin levels with a carb refeed.
    Mark explains it all, plain as day.
    The OP was feeling crummy etc, so a reefed was in order. I’m trying to play with hormone signaling, etc in order to shed more bodyfat, so periodic carb refeeds are something I’m experimenting with. I don’t “need” to do it, but I want to see what it does.
    I don’t think Mark had time to get into the nitty gritty of leptin/insulin and all of that in NYC so I think it was easier to dismiss the topic since it would be one that would bring up many questions and he was on a time constraint. I was actually going to bring up the article at the meet-up but I thought it was best not to after seeing that questions about carbs for athletes and stuff were already being asked.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bookstorecowboy View Post
    One point maybe someone could clarify: why does Mark not recommend the refeed for people who are obese? For them, he says it is probably better to stick with the program and try the refeed when they are down to lean condition. I do not understand the reasoning there.
    I have to imagine that this is to avoid a rebound carb binge which some obese (and lean) people definitely have problems with. Psychology is a HUGE part of healthy (and shitty) eating and encouraging this kind of cheating behavior can lead to uncontrolled eating and possibly even cause people who struggle with willpower to revert to their old ways. I know I spin out of control once in a while but now that I'm a little more in tune with my body and how craptastic I feel after cheating too many meals in a row. Willpower can be a pain in the ass sometimes
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    Why refeed on just carbs, why not just throw in a sweet potato and an extra piece of fruit on a work-out day?
    Primal is not a low-carb diet, so there is no reason why you'd be glucogen depleted.
    Unless off course you're glucogen depleted because you've only recently transitioned into PB (which happened to me), in which case you don't want to give your body more carbs as it is learning to fuel more on fats. Better to take it easy and adjust your work-outs to your energy levels, rather than grabbing some more carb fuel.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Medscape: Medscape Access

read through this slide show, it explains a lot

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    I have to imagine that this is to avoid a rebound carb binge which some obese (and lean) people definitely have problems with. Psychology is a HUGE part of healthy (and shitty) eating and encouraging this kind of cheating behavior can lead to uncontrolled eating and possibly even cause people who struggle with willpower to revert to their old ways. I know I spin out of control once in a while but now that I'm a little more in tune with my body and how craptastic I feel after cheating too many meals in a row. Willpower can be a pain in the ass sometimes
    Carb-refeeds aren’t cheating.

Eating potatoes isn’t cheating, potatoes are food, sweet potatoes are food. Nobody is saying to “re-feed” with pizzas, please don’t misunderstand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast