Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question on abdominal weight page

cody Guest

I am hearing different answers on losing abdominal weight. I usually hear, that if you are over weight that by doing cardio the first to go is from the stomach. Then I hear it is the last to go. My belief is cardio helps you to lose abdominal fat first and then you can do abdominal exercises to firm up. Is this true?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Cardio, HIIT, crunches - I still have belly fat. It just won't go away... I hear it's hormones?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

mseibel is offline Junior Member

You can&#39;t control where fat gets put on, and you can&#39;t control where it comes off. Taubes talks about it in CGBC, hormones influence LPL (Lipoprotein Lipase) in the cells, which controls fat entering/leaving. Insulin has a big influence on LPL, as well as sex, age, even individuality (some people have double chins, some don&#39;t).

nickh is offline Junior Member

From what I&#39;ve learned, each person gains and loses weight in different ways. Some people store most of their fat in their thighs, whereas for others it&#39;s in their belly or bum or etc.

Unfortunately, you can&#39;t really control it.

However, the good news is that it&#39;ll come off. Just keep up with the exercise, and you&#39;ll see improvement. Make sure to do plenty of cardio that keeps your heart rate elevated.

Good luck!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

When you get to that stage where you think you&#39;ve tried everything, maybe it&#39;s time to look at hormones.

Prominence:

Estrogen Receptors- quads/glutes, lower abs

Androgen Receptors- chin, tricep/lower arms, chest

Insulin Receptors- "love handles", Sub-scapular

Cortisol Receptors-gut region

Signs of sluggish thyroid hormones or thyroid: mid axillary

So when I say the above I mean that fat is stored in these areas, and can be related to an imbalance or problem with the receptors.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

@Cody, don&#39;t bother with "cardio"...I&#39;m going to be so bold to say that it&#39;s pretty unnecessary. Focus on Crossfit (http://www.crossfit.com) inspired workouts, lifting massive weight (no more than 5 reps to failure,) and run FAST at least once or twice a week. Combined with a clean diet, you will be guaranteed some kick butt changes.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

A little harsh, but, check out Mr. Dream&#39;s article on cardio...

http://www.thedreamlounge.net/2009/1...test-thoughts/

musajen is offline Junior Member

I&#39;m not at a point yet to focus solely on belly fat (needs to come off from everywhere) but the Drs Eades have a new book called the 6-week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle. Supposedly it targets your abs specifically (which I find hard to believe) but it&#39;s mostly a way of eating (v low carb) mixed with a unique ab exercise called the Laplace in Place maneuver.

If you google Laplace in Place you can get the actual book up on Google and read the section that talks about this exercise.

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

I&#39;m one who holds the fat in my thighs. It is so gag ugly, lol. The first place I gain is in my thighs, and the first place I lose is in my waist. Thighs are the last to go. They will always hold fat and/or build muscle first.

I am pretty far away from needing to worry about spot reduction (60 lbs overweight), but I&#39;m pretty sure that even if I get my body/fat ratio low, I&#39;ll have large, muscular thighs.

Looking forward to the day...

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

ASNutrition: Thanks for the info. My husband is slightly overweight but doesn&#39;t have too much belly fat but he has love handles, as do his cousins and I&#39;d wondered how that was possible. Almost everyone on his maternal side is diabetic. Your explanation of the insulin receptors imbalance seems to make sense now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast