Thread: Gluteus Medius Problem page

Captain Scarlet is offline Junior Member

Gluteus Medius Problem

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with some advice.

I've had a pain in my left buttock for a while now, but not causing too many problems. The last couple of months I've started getting (referred?) pain down my leg when walking or sitting.

I went to the physio who said that I had a really tight gluteus medius muscle. I've been stretching the area for a while but it doesn't seem to help. It's painful when I press into that muscle.

The physio said that I am generally very flexible in the body, and physically in good health. I'm lean, I work out with weights and I run sprints. I eat paleo and take supplements, so I'm giving my body the best chance, but still no luck. I do sit down all day whilst at work.

What can I do? Why won't it go away?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with some advice.

I've had a pain in my left buttock for a while now, but not causing too many problems. The last couple of months I've started getting (referred?) pain down my leg when walking or sitting.

I went to the physio who said that I had a really tight gluteus medius muscle. I've been stretching the area for a while but it doesn't seem to help. It's painful when I press into that muscle.

The physio said that I am generally very flexible in the body, and physically in good health. I'm lean, I work out with weights and I run sprints. I eat paleo and take supplements, so I'm giving my body the best chance, but still no luck. I do sit down all day whilst at work.

What can I do? Why won't it go away?
    You can try adding in some foam roller work, PNF and possibly even accupuncture. But it will probably be a case of sticking at it for a good few months to really see any major change.

Furan is offline Member
    You could check acupressure as well. A chiropractor should be able to help you out with that, especially if it's some kind of recurrent pain.
    ======== ==== == =
    Be hardcore, drink water

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Foam roller, good stretching program and time.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    This sounds related to an issue I have where my sciatic nerve either runs under or through the piriformis muscle. Read down to the "clinicals" section of that article and see if it sounds like your situation.

The fix for me is a simple stretch. The easiest variation for me to practice is this: Sit in a chair. Place your left ankle atop your right knee. Lean towards your ankle. Reverse and repeat. The will stretch out your piriformis and may reduce the pressure on your nerve if this is the culprit.

I'm not a medical expert, so this is just my personal story. If a piriformis stretch doesn't do the trick, seek professional help so that you don't end up with significant or permanent problems.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Captain Scarlet is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys,

I have had trouble with my piriformis muscle before so I guess I just have a problem with those muscles in that area. I'll give that stretch a try.

I have bought a foam roller and have started doing the exercises. They hurt!

The other notable thing is TIME. I think I was expecting results too quickly and will see how it goes over the next couple of months.

I appreciate the comments and advice.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I have bought a foam roller and have started doing the exercises.
    When the foam roller doesn't hurt enough any more, try rolling around on a superball or dog toy ball. Then ice it.

Gordo

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys,

I have had trouble with my piriformis muscle before so I guess I just have a problem with those muscles in that area. I'll give that stretch a try.

I have bought a foam roller and have started doing the exercises. They hurt!

The other notable thing is TIME. I think I was expecting results too quickly and will see how it goes over the next couple of months.

I appreciate the comments and advice.
    If the rolling does cause pain it is normally a good indicator that it will do you some good. Best of luck!