Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buliding muscle while under house arrest page

Doddibot is offline Senior Member

Buliding muscle while under house arrest

Shop Now
    I've recently had a pretty severe illness and it caused me to lose a lot of weight (about 10kg). In order to put the weight back on I'd been looking at Starting Strength, but I'm still on unpaid leave so I'd rather not be paying money for a gym membership if I can avoid it (I am, however, willing to purchase a book if it's good and I can find it).

Are there any similar and straightforward routines that use bodyweight or the minimal equipment I have at home? I've lost a lot of strength so I'd essentially need to start from scratch (though with bodyweight I'd find that easy because I don't have much!). But I'm looking for something that will give me the best gains, so that I'm not force-feeding myself this extra 400kcal for nothing!

I only have access to a pull-up bar, and I only have enough free weights at home to go up to 40kg. I have a few hills nearby and I like sprinting. I have no restraints as to how often I can work out.

By the way, I'm a 23-year old make, 180cm tall (and currently 66kg).
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Convict Conditioning or Building the Gymnastic Body are great resources.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Be creative and be intense.

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    this could also help with ideas:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread6533.html

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    Convict Conditioning or Building the Gymnastic Body are great resources.
    Yeah, just reading about them now. These, or Never Gymless? So many choices all of a sudden.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

DSR84 is offline Member
    If you lost that much weight during your illness, a lot of that was probably muscle (as you probably already know), so I don't think your lack of weight would really be an issue for body weight exercises, as I guess the "ratio" would be the same as for folks who did not have an illness like yours. Someone mentioned Convict Conditioning, which has a really thorough set of body weight progressions (I started working from it last month). If you don't want to break the bank, go ahead and pick that book up and start from the beginning. You'll probably be amazed at how hard some of the level 1 exercises are (I was, and was healthy and already doing some training before picking up CC). And don't be afraid of body weight training, if anything it will help you build a better foundation for weighted training if you ever get to that point.

Also: don't worry about fast gains. Dial in a program that works for you. A few months seems like a long time to be on one stage of a progression, but it pays off in the long run with sustainable gains.

I think what makes sense to me is to do 4-5 bodyweight or weighted bodyweight exercises, with 3-4 sets of 5-8 reps. I just need to work out what 4-5 bodyweight exercises to do. Squats or lunges I guess, because leg work seems to be the focus of most routines that try to build muscle quickly.

I'd also like to work some sprints into it, because that's what I want my legs to be good at doing.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Can you already do a muscle up?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Can you already do a muscle up?
    I don't think so, no.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    could be a good goal... i want to get there. I will get there before i die.... or just after
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast