Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wendy's June Challenge page

wendyland is offline Senior Member

Wendy's June Challenge

I'm starting my first 30 day challenge tomorrow. I've gone a week here or there without sugar, but haven't done a full primal diet. I don't eat much dairy or wheat already? It's the sugar that's going to be challenging for me. I'm very apprehensive about the first week. I hate the sugar withdrawal.

A little about me. I'm 33,married with three girls ranging from 4 to 12. My husband is pretty much on board, but I can see him straying a bit this month. He said that he's excited to do this with me this month.

I've had my last bread. I'm starting my 30 days earlier than I was planning. I'm ready. I have marks book and cookbook and I just bought Everyday Paleo. I swear that book was written just for me.

I'm doing the challenge because I think it's the best way to eat. I hhave a disorder that. I think may go away with a better diet and I have a lot of weight to lose. Since I turned 30,it's seemed like my health has only been going down hill too fast for my age.

Tonight I'm going to make a whole chicken with curry roasted fennel and cauliflower. I've never roasted fennel so I hope it turns out well.
    Last edited by wendyland; 05-30-2011 at 07:35 PM.

The fennel and cauliflower was awesome. I've never eaten a fennel bulb, just the seeds. It was yummy with curry. What isn't better with curry?

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
    I'm 33,married with three girls ranging from 44 to 12.
    LOL, seriously??

I've just started a June whole30 thread in the nutrition folder - join me! (For all I know it'll just be the two of us, lol).

Nice to meet you
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

44! Haha That's what I get for trying to type on my phone. That's supposed to be 4.

I'll look for the June thread. Thanks!

I didn't get around to listing my stats yesterday. I want to keep track of a couple stats to check my progress in a month. I can't believe I'm listing this in print.

My weight this morning was 240, down from 242 yesterday.
    Waist: 46
    total cholesterol: 212
    I didn't feel like taking other measurements. I'm more concerned about my waist measurement than the others.
    I also want to get my cholesterol checked in a couple months. If I get my total below 200, I'll get a discount on my health insurance.

I'm doing pretty well today. My hands are really swollen. I'm also feeling hungrier than normal. I'm not usually hungry in the morning.

So far, I've eaten:
    B - 3 big strawberries, 3 links of sausage
    S - unsweetened tea, 2 tsp coconut oil, a few slices of turkey, half a banana
    L - will be chicken and a salad

Day 1 is over!!! Yesterday kicked my butt. I didn't know the carb flu would start so soon for me. I thought I had a couple days. I have been so lethargic. I don't have as bad of a headache as I did yesterday, but my arms and legs feel like lead.

I was really tempted to eat some dark chocolate, but I didn't want to eat any sugar. I want to get through the change from running on carbs to fat faster. I did make coconut flour blueberry muffins. They were.....mmmm...edible....

I did a lot of searching last night on other people's experiences with the low carb flu. Some people talked about it lasting for weeks or months. I hope that's not the case for me. I wish I would have dropped a little more gradual this week, but when I've tried to do that before, I never fully committed. I feel like stopping cold turkey is better for me.

I also realize that I need more groceries. I did not have a good variety of food yesterday, but then I felt like crap in the afternoon and didn't want to go anywhere. I'll go get more food today.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Good move to get more food! I found that as long as I could eat and didn't try to restrict myself that I got through OK. It was when I added the diet mentality to the primal concepts that I really did myself damage, lol. Hang in there. . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

I started feeling much better after lunch today. I went to the international grocery store to see what goodies I could find. I picked up some ghee and vegetables. I also got a young coconut. It's been years since I had one. I blended the meat, water, cinnamon, vanilla, and ice together. It was so amazing that I felt like I was having a tropical cocktail. It was welcomed treat.

B: 4 links of sausage, coconut flour muffin
    L: 2 trader joe's chicken sausages, roasted cauliflower and bell peppers
    D: steak, broccoli (and mashed potatoes, I know, but I could have done worse)
    S: coconut drink, a few pecans, a few dried cherries, a couple slices of turkey

I think I ended up with about 1600 - 1700 calories for the day.

I didn't get an opportunity to post yesterday. I probably thought about cupcakes 500 times yesterday. It was rough, but I made it through the day (with the help of a lara bar). I was a little higher in carbs than I wanted to be. Probably around 85, but I'm not sweating it.

I'm finding that the hard part is eating enough calories. I barely made it to 1300 yesterday and I felt like I ate a ton. Maybe I should have a bit more coconut oil.

I had 4 turkey sausages and 2 small eggs for breakfast. I'm lucky to get cheap eggs from someone near our country home. They're outrageous here in the city. I feel so hoity toity saying that I have a country home. haha both of my homes are very modest for a family of 5. It is nice to have somewhere to go play on the weekends.

Had a salad for lunch, but it wasn't very big. I'm going to cook myself a hamburger for second lunch.

I am feeling a little more energetic today. Not as much cravings, unless I'm up close to something. I made the girls pb&j for lunch and it did look pretty good to me, but I wasn't overwhelmed with the need to eat it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Even more energy today and less cravings. I'm averaging about 1400 calories a day. Carbs have been around 50 or 60. I'm happy with that.

I was surprised to find that my plantars fasciitis was much less painful when I woke up this morning. I've had it for three years. I was going to the doctor and it was getting better, but came back after going off the anti inflammatory.

My youngest seems more interested in eating vegetables. She ate quite a bit of her salad, half an avocado, and a chicken strips for lunch. I'm so glad that avocados are one of her favorites. My oldest will be the hardest to find foods for. She has been vegetarian from birth. I wish I knew then what is known now. I wouldn't have dated a vegan. She will eat sweet potatoes, carrots, and raw spinach. And too many soy foods. I've been weening them off.

I need to work on me first and get myself healthy before i can worry about my husband and kids. I've lost 5 lbs in 5 days. I know it's going to taped down, but it's still fun to see the scale to down. I'm usually starving and then binging by this day in a lower calorie diet. I can't believe I'm satisfied on so little calories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast