Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight when I don't want to page

Joe B is offline Member

Losing weight when I don't want to

Primal Fuel
    I eat Paleo/Primal (whatever you want to call it) and slowly but surely keep losing weight when I don't want to. I'm 5'10 and was 150lbs at the end of February but just weighed in at 139.5lbs this morning; I did not want to lose weight at all. I've been eating Paleo for four years now but have been having weight issues for the last two years, with weight loses of 20-25lbs happening twice in that time period. Needless to say I don't want this to happen again, though it is in the process now. I have been trying to correct adrenal fatigue since Mid-March, and once I am over it I want to go on a linear progression strength program and get up to 165lbs or so, 150 is too skinny for me. I started Crossfit in July 2007 but have done Crossfit Football, SS, and 70s big LP in between then.

Now that the background info is out of the way, time for the question: I clearly have a lack of appetite problem, how do people maintain weight without weighing and measuring when faced with this problem? I've been WAMing for awhile now and I'm kind of burned out doing it and just want to eat whatever good food I want, and in the portion size that I want to. However, it has not worked in the past since when I lost that substantial amount of weight twice I was not WAMing, just eating when hungry. How can I maintain without WAMing? I really don't want to use a scale anymore, but I feel like I have to in order to force myself to eat enough to not lose weight. So what do I do, weigh myself every couple of days to see if I'm eating enough? Is this a thyroid issue? I recently started taking NOW superfoods digestive enzymes to help, and I also supplement with Vit D, fish oil (2.5g/day), and magnesium glycinate pills. Any help is appreciated, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to get your thyroid checked. Maybe you need to do some carb refeeding. What does your carb intake look like?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil or creamed coconut, heavy cream, and lots of avocados are a good way to get more yummy fat calories into your diet.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Eat three good meals per day, you know what should be in those. At least twice per day, after those meals, dirnk a pint glass filled with some combo of coconut milk, whey, fruit, whole milk, cream, cocoa, etc. - you can get an extra 1000 calories per day in those two glasses. You will feel weird - elevated body temp, etc., but I'd be shocked if it didn't help you gain weight.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Joe B is offline Member
    @DaisyEater: I actually have a form filled out to get a thyroid test done, I just need to get it done. I used to eat around 50g of carbs per day (not counting fiber), and along with doing CF I burned out my adrenals. Now I eat anywhere from 125-175g per day, consisting of strawberries, pineapple, apples, sweet potatoes/yams, white potatoes, and non-starchy vegetables like brussel sprouts, broccoli, artichokes, and asparagus. How much carbs constitute a refeed?

@belinda: I've tried coconut oil and milk, and avocado, and unfortunately I don't like them. I'll give heavy cream a try, and also add more butter and olive oil to stuff.

@tfarny: The problem is that I try to eat three meals per day but many times I am not hungry at all in the morning, like I try forcefeeding myself but it doesn't happen. I also might sleep in too late if I stay up late the night beforehand. How do you portion stuff with WAMing? Fistfull of protein and the rest of the plate made up of veggies/fruit/starchy veggies + some fat? Either way I will try getting some liquid calories in, I've tried kefir and it's pretty good, plus is has beneficial bacteria to promote gut health.

When I do eat enough, I feel good and have solid energy (plus the elevated body temp that tfarny mentioned), but after 2-3 days of eating enough my stomach gets bloated and it seems like I don't process food efficiently or something. A couple times a month I will have a bathroom session where it seems like I'm clearing out my entire body (sorry for the description). I feel really good after but I drop two pounds or so; I'm thinking it's a digestive issue then since the bloating causes me to be full and not eat.

For example, I just got back from a five day golfing trip in Ireland and for two of those days I ate enough and felt great. The next day (which was this past Saturday) I was bloated couldn't eat breakfast or lunch, and wound up eating at 6pm and 10:30pm. My energy was terrible during the day, yet I couldn't make myself eat anything. The following morning (yesterday) and today, I had that epic bathroom session and felt great but also sensed that I lost weight (which I did when I weighed myself this morning). Not sure if this helps, but I thought I would include it just to see if it does.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Zinc deficiency can cause a lack of appetite. Do you eat oysters? If not, you may want to add zinc to your diet.

The addition of a half to whole bar of dark chocolate slathered with a thick layer of cold kerrygold butter every day seems to have stopped my 8 months of steady and welcomed weight loss (I think I might have even gained a couple of pounds). I am putting an end to this addiction, of course, maybe you should try it

I don't even know what WAMing is. Anyhow, it sounds like everyone is advising you to eat more high calorie, high fat foods and you are looking for a different answer - I doubt there is any way to gain weight other than eating a lot, and dense / liquid calorie sources like cream, avocadoes, and coconut milk are the thing. And 5'10" 140 lb, you definitely do want to gain.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Oh can I add - you try forcefeeding yourself but it doesn't happen? So, you end up not eating? Well, I guess the solution is to eat. You can do it. Eggs, cream, butter, bacon. Breakfast.

Joe B is offline Member
    @jammies: I eat canned oysters from Trader Joe's once in a while but not regularly, I'll make sure to add them. That sounds like an awesome snack idea, I'll try it thanks.

@tfarny: WAMing is Weighing and Measuring, and I meant to say how do you construct a meal without weighing and measuring? Do you just do a fistfull size of protein and fill the rest of the plate with carbs and fat? I'm not looking for a different answer, just trying to explore all possibilities as to what might be causing me to not be hungry enough to maintain my weight since this has happened twice in the past and is happening again. You are correct in that I end up not eating, the times I do make myself eat breakfast when I am not hungry I then feel like crap and don't eat again until dinner, or sometimes not at all for the rest of the day. I'll try liquid calories and see how it goes.

I should add that I used to have a messed up view of eating where I wouldn't eat much if I was not working out, thinking that I would gain fat if I ate too much (which never happened). This thinking caused me to lose 25lbs the first time. The second time I lost 20lbs I was working out, just not eating enough. Since I am recovering from adrenal fatigue I cannot work out hard to build muscle, so this warped view of eating has reared it's ugly head again in my mind. I am a little uneasy about eating more but realize that if I don't eat enough to at least maintain I won't have any muscle mass left to preserve. Very warped view of eating, I know, I just need to work on it.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    No suggestions, just wanted to give a little support. I can relate to feeling very uneasy at the thought of eating more (from a different perspective). it's tough. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast