Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Is Parity Farm Ghee 100% Grass-Fed? page 3

  1. #21
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,464
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Minagelina View Post
    How long does it last for? I made some about a month and a half ago, so I don't know if it's still good anymore
    Mine lasts a week b/c of how much we consume in our cooking... I either use co, ghee, or bacon fat. If your concerned by how long it will last store it in the fridge... I keep it, and a small jar of bacon fat on the counter, right on top of the VAT of CO... my kids ask me for tastes of ghee... so I give it to them...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

    Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

  2. #22
    onalark's Avatar
    onalark is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Minagelina View Post
    How long does it last for? I made some about a month and a half ago, so I don't know if it's still good anymore
    Here's my totally unscientific approach to determining if something like butter or lard is "still good": Give it a whiff. If it doesn't smell off, it's probably still good. (And if you don't know what "off" smells like, then...uh...I don't know. I just know the smell when I smell it.)

    That said, if you make either correctly, there shouldn't be anything in there that goes bad. I keep my (homemade) browned butter/ghee on the counter, along with my coconut oil.

    My ghee doesn't set up, by the way. I don't know why. It's very liquid -- literally "butter oil" -- but tastes delicious. I drizzled some on a sweet potato last week and it was so good I almost cried.

  3. #23
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    $13 for ghee of questionable origin...I don't know. For $5.50, I can buy a pound of Kerrygold butter and render my own in about 30 minutes. I'm almost out of ghee and will be making more soon.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  4. #24
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    $13 for ghee of questionable origin...I don't know. For $5.50, I can buy a pound of Kerrygold butter and render my own in about 30 minutes. I'm almost out of ghee and will be making more soon.
    smart young man! and there's more enjoyment knowing where it came from, and that you made it yourself.. imo
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

    Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

  5. #25
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Here's my totally unscientific approach to determining if something like butter or lard is "still good": Give it a whiff. If it doesn't smell off, it's probably still good. (And if you don't know what "off" smells like, then...uh...I don't know. I just know the smell when I smell it.)

    That said, if you make either correctly, there shouldn't be anything in there that goes bad. I keep my (homemade) browned butter/ghee on the counter, along with my coconut oil.

    My ghee doesn't set up, by the way. I don't know why. It's very liquid -- literally "butter oil" -- but tastes delicious. I drizzled some on a sweet potato last week and it was so good I almost cried.
    Mine only sets up when it gets really cold... definitely butter oil!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

    Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

  6. #26
    Martha's Avatar
    Martha is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by lopqafezqww05 View Post
    So it seems as if we are still unsure if its from 100% grass fed cows. The price is extremely reasonable so I want a definitive answer. I guess I will have to give them a call soon!
    Purity Farms clearly states, "From Grass Fed , Pastured Cows."

  7. #27
    JeyPrimal's Avatar
    JeyPrimal is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1
    Not sure if this thread is still active, but I did email Purity Farms asking if their cows were 100% grass fed. I've pasted their answer (I don't know what CROPP Cooperative is, but the email did come from Organic Valley/Purity Farms):

    Thank you for contacting CROPP Cooperative.

    CROPP Cooperative's farmers are required to provide their animals with outdoor access. Cows are required to have access to pasture, the outdoors, sunlight and fresh air; weather permitting. The amount of time depends on the time of year, the weather, the feeding program of the individual farmer and the regional location of the farm. Most of our farmers are in northern areas of the country and pasture is available for approximately 6 months of the year.

    All animals receive 100% organic feed. All cows get a mixture of organic forages and organic grains in their diet. Forages are grass, hay, silage, baylage and other “green feeds”. Hay is simply dried plant material like grass and alfalfa. Silage and baylage are fermented or “wet” plant material. Grains include corn, barley, soybeans, oats, field peas and flax. The amounts may vary depending on the individual farmers management techniques.

  8. #28
    asra7's Avatar
    asra7 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2

    Found this link

    So they are not 100% grass-fed (they say that the cows are fed 100% organic GRAINS). I found this link which says the ghee is from 100% grass-fed cows:

    ..::Welcome to the Udder Milk Creamery Co-Op..

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by JeyPrimal View Post
    Not sure if this thread is still active, but I did email Purity Farms asking if their cows were 100% grass fed. I've pasted their answer (I don't know what CROPP Cooperative is, but the email did come from Organic Valley/Purity Farms):

    Thank you for contacting CROPP Cooperative.

    CROPP Cooperative's farmers are required to provide their animals with outdoor access. Cows are required to have access to pasture, the outdoors, sunlight and fresh air; weather permitting. The amount of time depends on the time of year, the weather, the feeding program of the individual farmer and the regional location of the farm. Most of our farmers are in northern areas of the country and pasture is available for approximately 6 months of the year.

    All animals receive 100% organic feed. All cows get a mixture of organic forages and organic grains in their diet. Forages are grass, hay, silage, baylage and other “green feeds”. Hay is simply dried plant material like grass and alfalfa. Silage and baylage are fermented or “wet” plant material. Grains include corn, barley, soybeans, oats, field peas and flax. The amounts may vary depending on the individual farmers management techniques.

  9. #29
    SophieScreams's Avatar
    SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Posts
    337
    This is only $7 at my local grocer. I'm stocking up until they catch on to what a bargain it is.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

  10. #30
    asra7's Avatar
    asra7 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2
    Also found this 100% grass-fed ghee link: Paleo Butter (Grass Fed Ghee) 7.8oz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •