Thread: Breakfasts easy enough for a child to prepare? Or to make ahead? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Breakfasts easy enough for a child to prepare? Or to make ahead?

Primal Fuel
    My step-daughter somehow wakes up before my husband and I do on the Saturday mornings we have her, and right now she eats sugary organic yogurt or cottage cheese with strawberries until I wake up. I'd like to do something besides the yogurt because of the sugar, and because I think she might be lactose intolerant.

So, do you all have any suggestions for what I could prepare ahead of time for her to eat, or what is simple enough for her to learn?

She's learning scrambled eggs, and she made Rivvin's Angry Bread with me once, I was wondering if primal parents have any other clever ideas.

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    I make egg cups (egg muffins). I beat as many eggs as I need and add chopped spinach and sometimes a good feta cheese. You can add whatever you want. Chopped tomatoes and ground sausage would be good. Pour into a silicone muffin pan and bake on 375 until they are super puffy looking. I have tried a greased metal muffin pan and they do not come out well no matter how well I grease it so I resorted to the silicone which works great.
    I make these at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge. My husband pops one in the microwave each morning.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    you can buy non-sweetened yogurt. other ideas would be primalized muffins (made with coconut flour, almond flour, or the flourless-cashew butter ones), meats that have been precooked which she can just reheat or eat cold (if she's open to that) with some fruit salad on the side.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Seeing as she likes yogurt, you can buy full-fat plain and strain it through a paper towel-lined strainer to remove the excess whey liquid. This leaves a nice thick yogurt that can be sweetened with a minimal amount of honey (or not). This is really good with fruit or used as a sour cream substitute.

You can cook bacon ahead of time and then reheat with a few seconds in the microwave.

How about primalized coconut/almond flour pancakes or waffles made the night before then reheated - either in the microwave or the toaster, or even eaten cold with some butter or fruit puree.

Does she like smoothies? Almond milk (with or without a splash of coconut milk), half a banana, a few berries, and maybe some spinach.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Hard boiled eggs.
    I also like sliced apple with almond butter for a quick, no work breakfast.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

How old is she? That might help give us an idea of more age and skill appropriate ideas.

I am not sure if you use a microwave or not but you can buy these microwaveable egg cookers. They are made of plastic (if you avoid plastics never mind lol) and hold two eggs. My oldest son used to use it to make eggs before school when he was in public school. If she is really young you can pre-break the eggs and store them in the fridge and write down how long to cook them and do a test run at snack time.

Something my kids are enjoying is I put our apple peeler on the counter. They know how to put an apple on it and work it. They eat the apple with cinnamon or nut butter.

These are some great ideas--thanks people! I don't know why I didn't think of some of that stuff earlier. Some hard boiled eggs and pre-cooked meats for her to heat up sound awesome. So long as I have strawberries, I know she'll be fine for carbs, but some baked goods here and there will be nice too.

PaleoCurious, she's 11 but her kitchen skills are pretty lacking. When I met her at 8 years old, she didn't know how to cut up her own pancakes She's come a long way, but she's still not super self-sufficient in the kitchen.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    That makes me sad. Maybe this can be a teachable thing?
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Haha, yes of course it's a teachable thing! She almost always helps me with dinner (and is becoming better at chopping and browning meat, for instance) but we only get her every other weekend so there's only so much we can do. Plus, while she's getting better with my supervision, I don't yet trust on the stove or with a large knife when I'm not awake and nearby.

I'm doing all I can to help her become knowledgable and independent, but once again, I have limited time to work on those skills.