Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: store bought eggs? page

tom05 is offline Member

store bought eggs?

hey all

im a huge fan of eggs, they are a big staple in my diet and i generally eat anywhere from 3-6 a day.

the thing is, because im in no economical state to buy organic, should i be worried about the omega 6 levels, or anything else for that matter? ive started taking fish oil as a daily supplement

thx!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I buy free range. It's only a buck more, here in Vancouver, and Vancouver is pricey. Try some farmers markets, you might be able to buy more for less.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Nickinator is offline Junior Member
    Sort of echoing what Nion said, I would just do a little research around your area. I did and was happy to discover a lady living right down the street from me who sells free-range eggs, and they are HALF the price of the organic/free-range eggs in the local markets.

But from what I've read on MDA and this forum, I'd say that if you only have access to/can afford conventional eggs, the best thing to do is just go with what's available.

Relosa is offline Member
    Buy some chickens, or ducks. Free eggs.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It's about a gram of omega 6 per egg.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    I buy free range. It's only a buck more, here in Vancouver, and Vancouver is pricey. Try some farmers markets, you might be able to buy more for less.
    Yup- I pay a local farmer $3/dozen for farm fresh eggs... So fresh they still have crap and feathers stuck to 'em!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    Once you have had eggs from pastured bug eating chickens, store bought eggs will seem gross. Find a local "egg lady." The "Free Range" label at least in the US means very little - essentially that somewhere in the chicken house there is a small trap door to an outside enclosure that the chickens never use. Like any other animal protein you eat, you need to find out what your chickens eat. Lots of bugs in pasture after the cows are done is best.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Once you have had eggs from pastured bug eating chickens, store bought eggs will seem gross. Find a local "egg lady." The "Free Range" label at least in the US means very little - essentially that somewhere in the chicken house there is a small trap door to an outside enclosure that the chickens never use. Like any other animal protein you eat, you need to find out what your chickens eat. Lots of bugs in pasture after the cows are done is best.
    Yep. Even if free-range meant plenty of space and fresh air, it can still mean a corn-based diet.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    If your yolks look exactly like DaisyEater's avatar, you know you got a good egg!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

tom05 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks all. ive got a big produce market close to my appartment so im going to check it out. certain i will find them there, but im praying they wont cost me an arm and a leg....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast