Thread: water retention from LOW carb? page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

water retention from LOW carb?

Shop Now
    I have recently found that the combination of low carb and intense exercise causes me to retain more fluids than I am used to. After refeeding with (primal) carbs I feel like I flush out excess fluids. Is there any explanation for this or do I experience only cooincidence not correlation? I am confused as I think I have learned carbohydrates make you retain water...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Going very low carb can cause water retention- though I believe it's usually temporary as the body adjusts. Some people use carb refeeds to combat this. Some alcohol can also help.

Intense exercise will always cause water retention to nourish the muscles.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    Thank you very much! it is good to know this is a common phenomenon!

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member
    This is great to know. For the last 2 weeks I haven't shown a weight loss and even gained 1.2 lbs. I haven't changed my eating except to, possibly, eat less. Most of the time I'm so satisfied that its hard to push food down. I also noticed that I don't pee near as often or as much. Maybe, in my case, its water retention. I have been losing weight regularly, 28 lbs. I must also include we live in the desert and the humidity has been down to
    5%. I began to eat more and include more fat. Hope to see an improvement when I weight Sunday morning.

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member
    Yay! Added more food and more fat and lost 2.2 lbs. My body must have thought I was starving it and held onto the water and fat. However, this brings up another concern. Primal eating satisfies my appetite so well that I must push to eat more at each meal. Doing so flies in the face of one of the favorite Primal mantras "eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full".
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 06-06-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more.