Thread: Fish Organs page

Risto is offline Senior Member

Fish Organs

I eat wild herring pretty much every day, but I've usually thrown away the organs inside it. However, I recently started cooking eggs in the fish, but I always threw away the milt.

Eggs:

Milt:

Those fish eggs taste great, but I'm about to eat the milt too. I wonder what I'm getting myself into...

Wish me luck!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. I eat the livers and hearts from fish I catch but haven't tried roe or milt
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

OK, I did it, but it wasn't very pleasant this time. After reading what this organ really is I probably went to eat it with a bit of disgust. And I definitely need to find some recipes to use it.

Does anyone have any nutritional data of it? And recipes would be appreciated too.

But in general, the taste was similar to fish eggs, only a tad different texture as it doesn't contain eggs but is kind of firm. It's sort of salty like herring is.

Sambo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Milt is the seminal fluid of fish, mollusks, and certain other water-dwelling animals who reproduce by spraying this fluid, which contains the sperm, onto roe
    .... So... it's fish jizz. That's disgustingly primal. Bravo, sir.

It's sort of salty
    That's what she said! Oooooh!
    Last edited by Sambo; 05-30-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    Meri bilong mi i belhot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    .... So... it's fish jizz. That's disgustingly primal. Bravo, sir.

That's what she said! Oooooh!
    I know, it's kinda gross, but I felt like doing something ridiculous and crazy.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm based on this article maybe prepare like calves liver w/ bacon and onion?

The Nasty Bits: Cod Milt | Serious Eats : Recipes

Seems like a good thing to try but I have some perverse attraction to foods that most folks think is weird or funky. I tend to enjoy it too - tripe, stomach, blood sausage, bring it on!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks you for the recipe; I bookmarked it to try it the next time. I will provide feedback of how it went.

Haha; I think we should care little about the social aspect of some things. If organs are good for us, then why throw them away? Especially if there's a way to make them delicious. By the way, blood sausage is amazing.