Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling overwhelmed!! page

Carrie B is offline Junior Member

Feeling overwhelmed!!

Primal Fuel
    So, I've been poking around MDA for a couple of weeks now, trying to read as many posts as possible. The basic philosophy seems very intuitive and makes sense, but as I've been trying to implement this new way of life, I've gotten quite discouraged. My husband and I are both full-time graduate students and, needless to say, do not have a lot of money. I'm trying to eat good animal protein, but then I see posts about how farm-raised salmon is terrible, and Mark would NEVER eat beef that isn't grass-fed. I love grass-fed beef and understand why it's so much better, but I simply can't afford it all the time. Is anyone else here in a similar situation? I'd love some advice. Thank you so much!

liminal_luke is offline Member
    Im no expert but Ive seen lots of "primal on a budget" themed posts since I started reading MDA. The general consensus seems to be dont sweat it. There are tons of folks doing the primal thing with conventionally raised meat and regular non-organic groceries. Would it be somehow "better" if they could go all the way with the grass fed? Oh sure. Are they seeing phenomenol results even without it? Absolutely.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Basically, if you can afford the best, then go for it. If you can't, then that's just how it is.

Even if you're just getting your Primal food from the grocery store, you're STILL going to be eating better than if you ate the way the vast majority of people do. Don't sweat it!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Here are a few ideas. Try to buy some sardines and wild caught fish that is canned. If you have a Whole Foods near you they have some pretty good deals on canned fish that is very low in mercury contamination, BPA free cans, and are great sources of n3. For grass fed beef try to go for the fattier cuts of ground beef as they are cheaper than the lean cuts of ground beef. When it comes to steaks try to avoid the rib eye or NY steaks since they tend to be the more expensive cuts and go for the London Broil, top sirloin, chuck. They may not be as marbled as the rib eyes but if you season and cook them right they are really yummy and you will get more bang for your buck.

You can also buy in bulk and do some sort of cowshare program where you buy 25 lbs of beef or a 1/4 cow which helps save a lot. I have friends who buy whole cows and divide it among our group and we tend to save a little that way.

Costco has some pretty good deals on organic chickens, organic ground beef, wild caught salmon and organic eggs.

Also you can sign up for Whole Foods newsletter to update you on weekly deals.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Not sure where you read Mark would NEVER eat regular beef lol... If that is the case he has become a rich snob
    I will quote his grass/grain fed beef blog post: "Eat beef, first and foremost. Get the highest quality beef you can afford, whether that ends up being premium grass-finished from the farm up the road or USDA Prime from Costco. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Man cannot live on wild caught canned sardines and crushing angst alone."
    If the option grass fed vs grain fed was available to you, sure you should pick the grass fed due to better micronutrient profile. But when the option is grain fed meat vs grains themselves or sugary/processed foods... Grain fed meat damn well comes out on top! Grain fed meat doesn't contain gut irritants, it doesn't inhibit mineral absorption, it doesn't contain a terrible macro- AND micronutrient profile. In short it isn't detrimental to health, but rather contains a splendid macronutrient composition with plenty of protein and fat.
    If you eat fish regularly or take a fish oil supplement while eating conventional meat and veggies, I believe you will reap at least 90% of the benefits from going primal.
    Now go eat your conventional meat!

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing primal on conventional foods. I decided to just start and make the best choices I could without worrying if it was the perfect choice. It 's going really well for me even though I haven't eaten grass-fed anything or counted a single carb gram or calorie. (lost 10.5 lbs since beginning May ). I'm going to keep going like this unless I stall, then I might refine things a bit, but only if it stops working for a few weeks.

Just start. Refine as you go along. Don 't let perfect be the enemy of great.

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing on non-organic whatever I can get my hands on. Most of the beef here (UK) seems to be grass-fed (or so I've been told) the only place with it actually on the label is my local budget supermarket (ALDI).

Don't stress it. I'm a student and on a budget but it is possible to eat primally without it being organic, grass fed, this that and the other. Just buy the best quality YOU can afford and go from there.
    Last edited by sarah1990; 05-30-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah1990 View Post
    I'm doing on non-organic whatever I can get my hands on. Most of the beef here (UK) seems to be grass-fed (or so I've been told) the only place with it actually on the label is my local budget supermarket (ALDI).

Is it? Fab! I didn't know that. I assumed it wasn't because it doesn't say on the packet. Eggs all seem to be cereal fed in my nearest tesco.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    As long as you're spending your precious food budget on meat, fish, seafood, vegetables, eggs, bacon, and butter and not eating shit that came out of a box or a bag with 36 ingredients on the label you'll do fine!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

me jane is offline Senior Member
    According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch, farm-raised Coho and Silver Salmon tank-raised in the U.S. is a sustainable option.

Salmon, Coho - Seafood Watch | Monterey Bay Aquarium

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast