Thread: so how should i eat if i can only exercise at night page

Muppet is offline Senior Member

so how should i eat if i can only exercise at night

Primal Fuel
    I have two babies and the only time I can exercise is at night. and basically right after I exercise I fall asleep (I have never had a hard time falling asleep! ). So I am wondering how I should eat to support this time of exercising. I used to workout in the mornings pre-baby. Now I am doing yoga at night a few times a week. Is it ok to just do it and IF until the morning? I am not hungry after the workouts and I am usually asleep within thirty minutes of finishing about an hour of yoga. Do I really need to "refuel?" Any ideas or advice is so welcomed. thank you

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Is your exercise at night Yoga? If so, and you can manage it, there shouldn't be any great need to eat until morning.

eri
    eri is offline Member
    I am also interested on this topic! since I only excercise at night (one hour of Pilates training). Tipically I eat dinner before Pilates and then nothing til the morning breakfast... would it be better to eat after excercise, or maybe is same? What about breakfast?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Your body just waits to heal until you have the nutrients for it.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I am interested in people's thoughts on this matter as well. I do two hours of karate two nights a week from 8pm until 10pm, which (depending on the class content) can leave me exhausted.

Generally I try and avoid eating heavy prior to class, so at the moment I eat a protein-less salad when I get home from work and wash it down with 16oz of water to - at the risk of sounding overly practical - "flush it through in a hurry", and then eat either some meat or some scrambled eggs followed by a protein shake when I get home.

This strategy seems to work for me insofar as not "feeling heavy" goes, but I'm curious as to its effectiveness from a nutritional standpoint.

For completeness here's my general shake recipe, as people seem to get excited over the potential sugar/protein/fat content of a shake they know nothing about.
    In a 12? oz bullet:
    - 1 banana
    - 1 heap tsp pure cocoa powder
    - 4-5 heap tsp pure soy protein isolate (I've guesstimated about 30g protein @ 5g/tbsp)
    - water

Obviously this varies a bit, if I'm feeling reckless I might toss in a handful of blueberries or a strawberry or two. Recently I've been experimenting with adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut milk, partly because I think I have been running a caloric deficit on these nights, and partly because it's like adding unicorn giggles to your shake.

PokeyBug is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I always work out on an empty stomach and usually don't eat for another 6 to 7 hours. It's never made me feel weird or anything. Just a normal part of IF to me.