Thread: Low temperature pasturization? page

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member

Low temperature pasturization?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing a ton of research lately, trying to decide the dairy question for myself, and I've come to the conclusion that a good compromise for me might be raw milk. Unfortunately, selling raw milk is against state law here, so I can't try it. I can, however, try milk that is described as not homogenized (meaning the milk fat has not been processed and broken down so that it will not separate from the milk) and pasteurized using a low temperature process.

From what I have learned of pasteurization, the process destroys all of the essential amino acids, nutrients, and vitamins that milk naturally contains. Further, pasteurization removes many of the natural casein proteins in milk, which aid in its digestion, and this is why people become 'lactose intolerant'.

All my internet searches have given me is an explanation of the process. I understand the process, but I still don't know how this kind of milk will compare with raw milk, nutritionally speaking. Does anyone know, maybe have a link to share or a book to recommend?
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Genevieve is offline Member
    Could you buy a share from a cow or goat and get your milk from there?
    Start weight - 193lbs March 21st
    Current weight - 181lbs June 1st
    Goal weight - 145lbs

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." Gloria Steinem

My Primal Journey BLOG

cassel_man is offline Member
    Pasteurization is simply cooking the milk. So any thing that happens during cooking processes happens during pasteurization. Low temperature pasteurization is simply cooking milk at a lower temperature albeit for a longer period of time. You get the "benefit" of killing pathogens, without denaturing necessarily the milk proteins. All proteins are ultimately denatured by our body, that's the only way we can access their nutrient value. Denatured proteins can be somewhat allergenic though, which may be why *some* people are intolerant to pasteurized milk, but not raw milk.

If you truly are lactose-intolerant, it doesn't matter what process or source your milk has, you cannot digest lactose.

There are different varieties of casein out there. With the most common one being the most allergenic, which is produced primarily by Holstein cattle. Unfortunately the dairy industry is dominated by Holsteins so chances are most store-bought milk contains these allergenic variants of casein. You'd be better off seeking out milk from other breeds of cattle or goats. Try this before investing in a share.

PMAC is offline Member
    Let me preface this by saying, in a perfect world, I am a huge raw milk tfan. I found a greatlocal source, did my research and the dairy is very safe. Then I missed my delivery and on a whim bought a gallon of raw milk at the farmers mkt from another local dairy. 3 days later I was violently I'll lasted 3 weeks. Traced it back to the milk. I will never drink it again, even from the original dairy its just not worth the 3 week hell I went through. I am lucky and can buy non him low heat past grass fed milk from the optimal dairy cow variety. From a pure health benefit raw is best but the low heat non homogen. stuff is a close second. I have researched it I am confident the CLa is good there are some enzyme left and the fat is good so give it a try.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I have never heard that miminal heat pasteurization totally destroys the nutrition in milk, only that it is somewhat lessened. I have heard that homogenization is worse than pastuerization, and I avoid anything ultrapasteurized just on principle. I also have never heard that lactose intolerance is caused by pasteurization - lactose intolerance is caused by your own body not producing a certain enzyme after childhood.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

cassel_man is offline Member
    Homogenization is a mechanical process, I really doubt it causes too much trouble. In fact, goat milk typically has smaller fat particles, cream doesn't not readily separate, and many folks find it easier to digest for this very reason.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm a big fan of raw milk. I've been drinking it since January. Fortunately I'm in a state where I can purchase it at the farm that produces it. It's not convenient but it's doable. It's a shame you can't do the same in GA, although you can purchase raw milk for "pet consumption". Oops, if you "accidentally" drink it all before it ever reaches the dog bowl, what could they do to you? Sorry, don't have an answer to your low temp past. question.