Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should my ducks eat to prepare them to be eaten by me? page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

What should my ducks eat to prepare them to be eaten by me?

I started raising ducks in my backyard to produce fatty and nutritious eggs and meat for cheap. The ducks spend hours every day wandering my back yard, eating weeds and insects, fornicating, and playing in their pool. I supplement their foraging with commercial chicken food for fattening, because it's cheap and available at the store down the block. The food is about 80% ground cracked corn and around 15-20% protein. The store also sells a mix for young chicken growth, which I think has a higher protein content but is still primarily corn.

I have heard fowl actually can thrive on grains, however, how does this translate to me thriving on grain-fed fowl?

Will a primarily grain-fed duck have a high omega 6 to omega 3 ration?

What should I feed my ducks that is comparably economical to the commercial chicken feed which will yield a more nutritious meat with a better omega 6/3 ratio?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Omega-6 only changes in ruminants (but ruminants don't tend to have a lot of omega-6 no matter what), not poultry, so omega-6 will be the same. There will be less omega-3, but I don't really think that we should be looking to duck fat for our omega-3. it's a non-issue. Less corn will mean more CLA and TVA.

I think the main reason to try to get as much non-corn in as possible is the quality of the eggs. Huge difference.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    slugs, scraps, insects, slugs

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, this is interesting. I want to get some quails (for eggs) and was also wondering what to feed them. They'd be caged/aquariumed so I figured meal worms, crickets, and veggie scraps, but I haven't gotten any birds yet because I'm pretty sure that I'm so clueless I might starve the poor things.
    Little Saiyan

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member

cassel_man is offline Member
    No idea how big your backyard is or how many ducks you have but you'll likely have to supplement their food with something. And there's always a continuum on what you feed them. Certainly a backyard "free-range" duck supplemented with some grains is going to be better than one raised isolated from any grass/insect.

I think some paleo folks are a little naive actually when it comes to livestock production. Grass-fed this and free-range that. Unless you're raising your livestock in some place where winter never happens, supplementation is absolutely necessary. Grass-fed cattle get hay all winter. What do you think those free-range chickens do when there's 1-2 feet of snow on the ground?

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Whatever (natural) they can find.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anything they eat will really prepare them for becoming dinner. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    No idea how big your backyard is or how many ducks you have but you'll likely have to supplement their food with something. And there's always a continuum on what you feed them. Certainly a backyard "free-range" duck supplemented with some grains is going to be better than one raised isolated from any grass/insect.

I think some paleo folks are a little naive actually when it comes to livestock production. Grass-fed this and free-range that. Unless you're raising your livestock in some place where winter never happens, supplementation is absolutely necessary. Grass-fed cattle get hay all winter. What do you think those free-range chickens do when there's 1-2 feet of snow on the ground?
    I live in tropical Guatemala. My backyard is about 4 meters by 10 meters. I had two ducks until one mysteriously disappeared over the weekend.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post

I live in tropical Guatemala. My backyard is about 4 meters by 10 meters and full of tall weeds with lots of slugs and insects. I had two ducks until one mysteriously disappeared over the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast