Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Younger Generation and Its Liquid Candy page

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member

The Younger Generation and Its Liquid Candy

Primal Fuel
    Gary Taubes writes: "When I interviewed Peter Havel and Kimber Stanhope at U.C. Davis about the study they're doing on sugar and high fructose corn syrup they told me a relevant story, which is that the last time they studied glucose vs. fructose in older Americans, they wanted to pick people who didn't consume a lot of sugar-sweetened beverages. So they had to reject a lot of their applicants because they consumed more than one sugar-sweetened beverage a day. But they still had enough to do the study. When they moved on to the sucrose/HFCS study they're doing now and we're studying younger subjects under 40 they had trouble finding any to fit the criteria. "We had to change the criteria," Havel told me, "because we couldn't find anybody that was consuming that. It was very difficult to find anyone consuming less than two. We were asking them how many, and people were going `six'." So what they did was do what's called a washout period before starting the study, bring in the subjects, getting them off ssb's for two weeks, and then feeding them back.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I actually would have thought that was horrible prior to ever hearing about Paleo.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I forgot the numbers, but the sugar consumption per person in the US is like 12 times what it was in the 1800s, and that is not even factoring in all the other refining of carbs... It's scary.

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    Six in a day?! Gross.

I'm so glad my parents didn't let us drink soda unless it was a "special" occasion, and even then it was always the diet variation. One of my housemates drinks full sugar coke like it's the only liquid on earth. Makes me feel a bit sick.

Ryokumuji is offline Senior Member
    I remember there was a time when I didn't care about my health... I'd drink 6 to 8 cans of soda a day. I can't say I'm surprised to hear other people do that too.

Anave is offline Member
    That's sad, but not surprising. I've seen too many of my own friends drinking that much soda to be surprised. I'm so, so grateful that even before my family started getting away from conventional foods, soda and other sugary drinks were never a regular part of diet when I was growing up. The only time we ever had it in the house was at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it's been years since we even had that. It's amazing really, because both of my parents grew up in households where soda was the primary beverage.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't help that soda is so cheap these days, like .20 a can on a good sale when you buy the 12 pks. Or a two liter for only .99 that gets sucked down in a day, cuz ya know it goes flat so fast if you let it sit. Giving up soda and any other beverages sweetened with hfcs was the first step I took in converting myself to a low-carb then paleo diet. It made it much easier than going cold-turkey.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryokumuji View Post
    I remember there was a time when I didn't care about my health... I'd drink 6 to 8 cans of soda a day. I can't say I'm surprised to hear other people do that too.
    Yeah, me too. I loved Pepsi as a teenager. 6 cans daily was my rough intake for a good half decade.

I know several people who still live that way.

Dropping soda was the hardest thing I've ever had to do (healthwise). At the same time, of all the health conscious decisions I've made through the years I'm sure this was the most significant.

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    Even when I was a sugar nut I only had about 1 glass of diet coke a day with my dinner. I never had it in cans because it tasted different to me. Now I let my brother have the can my grandad gives me every week.He comes round once a week with a bag of sweet stuff for us, which he and my late nana used to do for as long as i can remember, I can't bring myself to ask him to stop so I either eat some of it and let my pig of a brother have the rest or I'll give it to friends. The coke just tastes nasty now, but the caramel bar.. that's the difficult one to give way! xD
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    O_o
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast